Best dual layer DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by silverback66, Oct 29, 2005.

1. silverback66 macrumors regular

What's the best dual layer DVD recorder available (at a reasonable price of course)?

2. opik macrumors member

I would say Plextor PX-716UF does the job. A friend has mine bought it for his iMac and completely satisfied. LG is about to release a new external drive withing the next few weeks and from the reviews it sounds like the best one except it doesn't have a MAC compability. It can write DVD-RAM, LightScribe, and is a bit faster than the Plextor. Google them both on the internet and compare.

3. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

I am happy with my LaCie D2 DL (lightscribe). External and using with my Powebook. It also comes with SilverKeeper, great backup software.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Have you used the Lightscribe feature to label discs? If do, how does it look?

Lethal

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

you need special disks to lightscribe right?

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Correct. The top of the discs are covered in a material that reacts to the laser in the DVD recorder. They are more expensive than non-Lightscribe discs, but not prohibitively expensive.

Lethal

7. masterapple04 macrumors regular

Lacie D2, hands down. I have one, and I've used them on a few friends' computers. They cannot be beat for reliability.

8. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

The discs have a flat gold cover on them. I used one on a backup of 'A River Runs Through It' I put a picture and the movie title on it. Looks ok, nothing super special, it would be nice to simply Name discs though. I think it took around 30 min for the pict and title. The discs are expensive.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I've heard that both Lacie and Plextor make good drives, so those would be my recommendations.