Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadio2002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
London, Ontario
Whats the best dvd copy program that does all in one. Rips, Encodes, and burns. Like DVDShrink on windows for those you use it.

thanks

RooX

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2005
why all at once? whats wrong with mactheripper then popcorn.. its not like you need to sit by the computer every step of the way.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Same here, I use DVDshrink on my PC to ahem backup my dvd's but it's a pain to use the PC just for that.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
how do you make it so that instead of it being in the dvd format with .vob files, you just have it so its one file thats like 700mb big?

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
derajfast said:
how do you make it so that instead of it being in the dvd format with .vob files, you just have it so its one file thats like 700mb big?
Use something like handbrake. It encodes into a couple of formats. Using the h.264 gives awesome quality with 700mb movies.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I think this is one of those threads where people should *search* before posting......it has been done many times already and things have not changed so much that yet another thread is needed....oh yeah!

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
so if i use handbrake, it will make it in to 1 700mb video, and not a bunch of .vob files? how long should this take do you think?

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
derajfast said:
so if i use handbrake, it will make it in to 1 700mb video, and not a bunch of .vob files? how long should this take do you think?

It depends on the speed of your machine, I get around 50 to 70 FPS when ripping straight from DVD to xvid on my Power Mac Dual G5 1.8 GHz.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
risc said:
It depends on the speed of your machine, I get around 50 to 70 FPS when ripping straight from DVD to xvid on my Power Mac Dual G5 1.8 GHz.
50 to 70 FPS? Right now I'm ripping a DVD folder to an H.264 file and i'm only getting 10-15 FPS on a dual 2.0ghz G5. And thats from a Video_TS folder on the hard drive, not a DVD.

And just now, the encoder stopped, saying it was finished... but its not. It only encoded the first 7 minutes of the movie. Anyone else have this problem?
:confused:

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
cwright said:
50 to 70 FPS? Right now I'm ripping a DVD folder to an H.264 file and i'm only getting 10-15 FPS on a dual 2.0ghz G5. And thats from a Video_TS folder on the hard drive, not a DVD.

h.264 is more processor consuming than divx and xvid. I usually get between 10-15 FPS doing h.264 on my dual 2GHz G5 as well.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
haha, i guess i should have figured that out. Any ideas on why the encoder randomly quits?

I havent done much testing yet, but is it worth the extra time to encode in h.264? I would assume so... the short 7 minute clip that i actually was able to encode was amazing quality.

so how does h.264 compare to divx/xvid when it comes to video quality/file size ratio?

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
cwright said:
haha, i guess i should have figured that out. Any ideas on why the encoder randomly quits?

I havent done much testing yet, but is it worth the extra time to encode in h.264? I would assume so... the short 7 minute clip that i actually was able to encode was amazing quality.

so how does h.264 compare to divx/xvid when it comes to video quality/file size ratio?

I'm not sure why it's not doing the complete encode. I had it do that once, but I just relaunched handbrake and it worked fine. Is there any crash log in the console?

I've started encoding everything in h.264. In my opinion the quality is so much better it is definately worth the extra time. I did a bunch of test encodes of different movies and in all of them h.264 was better, especially noticable when watching the movie in full screen.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I reopened Handbrake and started over (on a different movie this time) and all seems ok so far. Its estimating 4 hours to encode the video... its gonna be hard to get used to that after using DVD2One X where compressing only took about 10 minutes :rolleyes:

But I think i'm just going to re-do all of my movies in h.264 since these are for the purpose of taking to college and playing on my computer monitor and there really is no need to have an actual DVD copy. Plus I've been having some playback issues with the DVDs i get from DVD2One.

What settings have you been using? Do you use the default 1000kbps or do you set it to a target size of 700mb? And what about 2-pass encoding? The FAQ on the handbrake website highly recommends it, but is it also really worth the extra time?

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
cwright said:
What settings have you been using? Do you use the default 1000kbps or do you set it to a target size of 700mb? And what about 2-pass encoding? The FAQ on the handbrake website highly recommends it, but is it also really worth the extra time?

I usually do 2-pass, but I haven't tested the difference with that in h.264, I just did it with divx cause I knew it was better, and continue to do that now. Since I back up almost all of my movies on cd, I set it to 705mb, which results in a movie a little under 700mb (I dunno why, but that's what I got from my tests). I sometimes will do a movie at 1410mb and split it in two if it's more than a 2 hour movie.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Just out of curiosity, when you set it to 705mb target size, what bitrates does it usually end up using? When I tried a 1.5 hr movie at 700mb, it dropped the bitrate down to about 650kbps. That seems like a pretty big drop in quality from 1000kbps.

If 1000kbps is much better I would just assume use it instead and make backups on DVDs since they're so cheap nowadays.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
cwright said:
Just out of curiosity, when you set it to 705mb target size, what bitrates does it usually end up using? When I tried a 1.5 hr movie at 700mb, it dropped the bitrate down to about 650kbps. That seems like a pretty big drop in quality from 1000kbps.

If 1000kbps is much better I would just assume use it instead and make backups on DVDs since they're so cheap nowadays.

Usually I'll get between 700 and 800, but it depends on the length of the movie. If you're not concerned with fitting it on a CD, then I'd just keep it at 1000. 650 might not be bad, but it depends on how much action (fast camera panning and character movement in a shot) and the color tone of the movie... if you're in doubt you can always test by just encoding one chapter at the bit rate it tells you it would do for the whole movie.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I think i'll just keep it at 1000kbps then since i plan on doing lots of full screen viewing at 1920x1200.

Have you ever tried making duplicate copies of the handbrake app and having each one encode a different movie at the same time? Is that a smart thing to do? I thought that may be a good way to get them done faster by just letting them run simultaneously overnight.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
cwright said:
Have you ever tried making duplicate copies of the handbrake app and having each one encode a different movie at the same time? Is that a smart thing to do? I thought that may be a good way to get them done faster by just letting them run simultaneously overnight.

Yep, I have done it multiple times and it works perfectly fine... though I do wish that just running one handbrake would use both processors for when I don't have multiple movies to encode at once.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
So when only encoding one video it doesnt support dual processors?

If thats the case, can you run two application copies at the same time with no performance hit on either one since each app would use its own processor?

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
cwright said:
So when only encoding one video it doesnt support dual processors?

Nope, sometimes I'll get a spike of like 108%, but normally it'll hover around 98% (this is in activity monitor where the total for using both processors would be 200%)

If thats the case, can you run two application copies at the same time with no performance hit on either one since each app would use its own processor?

Theoretically it should do the two movies in the same time as it does for one, but practically it'll take a little longer, although it will be shorter than doing the two at separate times. Now I'm off for a couple of days, so if you have more questions hopefully someone else will be here to answer them for you. :)

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
well I think i'm good anyways :)

but thanks for all the help. I'm off to bed with 2 encodes going on my PM G5, 2 on the iMac G5, 2 on the other iMac G5, and 2 on the Mac Mini :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.