Best DVD Ripper??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by junior, Apr 20, 2003.

1. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

What are your recommendations on the best/easiest DVD rippers for OS X? Any great freewares around? Or is it actually no easy task to rip DVDs sold in the shops (ie copy-protected)?
    Thanks in advance!

2. GigaWire macrumors 6502

first, buy one copy of the dvd, go home, watch it. then, go back to the store (or another store) and buy another copy and watch it. You'll see that you have a perfect copy of the orginal, plus you get all of the packaging too. AND, it doesn't take up all that ripping time!

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

4. junior thread starter macrumors 6502a

junior

Thanks irmongoose!! And err... GigaWire!
    Will try them out!

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

this might violate the DMCA, theres probably a clause about buying two of the same thing....

6. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Shouldn't forty-two make .iso's for dvd's anyway? and I just grabbed a copy and it reckons its expired.

7. the future macrumors 6502a

8. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I just tried 4-2 on Saving Private Ryan as a test because it was on my desk at the time. The output seems to be only a trailer of the movie. The first scene? I've tried heaps of stuff and most don't work.

9. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

theres MEncoder from the mplayer project (http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net) which is a GUI and just rips through terminal but can save to a variety of formates. I've never managed to get it working on my combo drive iBook, so i can't vouch for the quality/speed/efficiency.