best dvr for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thestaton, Feb 5, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

I'm doing some research and trying to decide the best dvr to get for my iMac duo. I can't get OTA HD which was a bummer so that's not a feature I need but if the price was close with the feature that could be a perk.

What I'm looking for is a DVR that does not require much processing power from the iMac & encodes the video on the fly to Mpeg 4, so that all I have to do is add it to itunes & its ready for the apple tv.

Also do any of these allow you to connect them to your TV so you can watch the recorded shows on the tv?

thanks for the help.

2. macrumors regular

Good question! I will be interested to know what is the best.

3. macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

4. macrumors regular

Personally i love my Eyetv 500, it's been discontinued due to cable companies, but it is amazing. And u can still get it off of ebay for half the price of what it actually used to retail for. I got my 500 for cheaper than a hybrid.

5. macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

Why was it discontinued because of the cable companies? I remember looking into it when I bought the Plextor ConvertX.

6. macrumors regular

Because u can recieve HD signal through the cable. I don't know if it was because of the cable companies or not, but that is what i heard.

7. macrumors regular

i keep waiting for a front end (for the mac) to replace my replayTV system. the convertX looks promising. they only thing that seems to be lacking is the ability to control either set top boxes or satellite boxes and the software isn't close to what replay or tivo offer (season passes, 2+weeks in advance program guide, click it and forget it recording, etc). as soon as someone addresses those issues, i'll be all over their product.

edit: also, there aren't many that support both analogue, digital and HDTV with both HDMI and component inputs. that's the other thing i'm looking for....tivo 3 does this. btw, does anyone know what tuner card the tivo 3's use?