Best "easy" way to make a website

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by galstaph, Jun 2, 2006.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

OK, I am looking for suggestions on what would be a realativly easy program to use to make a website on. I was thinking of playing around with iweb... but dreamweaver looks like it can do really nice stuff (although there is a learning curve to deal with). I've coded a wee bit a few years back in html... used frontpage (real easy i know), but is there something for osx that is just a simple layout and there you go kinda thing (ie. more visual)?:confused:

2. Queso macrumors G4

RealMac Software's RapidWeaver. It integrates with iLife and is virtually drag and drop. So easy to use, yet powerful enough to give great results.

Here's a link

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Look over in the Web forums, there you'll find all you need... :)

If you want things to be as easy as possible, go for iWeb (part of iLife 06) or RapidWeaver. None of these are free, but they are very affordable...

I prefer to use TextWrangler myself...

Good luck!

4. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Rapidweaver is a sure-fire thing for beginning.

Dreamweaver for sure, but as you pointed out, there is a learning curve. :)

Edit: Crikey - beaten by Dnyamicv and Mittrawnuruodo. Go with them - they know!

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And, your results will be in proportion to the effort you put in to learn and design the sites properly...

6. Lau Guest

It's also worth bearing in mind that a website you build doesn't have to have fancy coding - it can be dead simple code-wise, but with some nice graphics. I've never built a crazily complicated site - I wouldn't know how to, and frankly, I can't be arsed, but I've learnt some basic HTML (and later some CSS) and made it look pretty. :)

Or do you mean by "more visual" that you want it to do the graphics for you? In which case I would also recommend the RapidWeaver/iWeb type stuff - some of them look good. :)

7. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

If iWeb or Rapidweaver don't ring your bell, then there is Sandvox, the new kid on the easy website authoring block that's starting to look very interesting.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Dreamweaver and NVU are probably not the way to go. They're too complicated. I use Dreamweaver every day, and love it, but it's definitely not an "easy" application. You have to do most everything by yourself. Of course there are templates, but they're not very good. iWeb makes really nice looking sites, but it's not flexible enough IMO. Rapidweaver and Sandvox both do a good job of doing enough things for you to make it easy, but giving you enough control to do what you want as you learn more. Sandvox is probably the best at this, as the pro version will actually let you directly edit the HTML code if you want to.

9. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Use iWeb

You'll have a site up and running in no time..

it's as "easy" as it gets...imo

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Wow, I bought RapidWeaver two days ago to get in on the free upgrade to 3.5 before the price of 3.2 went up, but honestly, I tried NVU last night after reading it and I find it much easier and, needless to say, much more flexible. Thanks for the recommendation, even if a day late. Fantastic product.

Another vote for Nvu.

11. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

iWeb sucks... or I mean I guess I just don't really like it.