Best encryption program?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by starcrossed, Oct 13, 2003.

1. starcrossed macrumors regular

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on a nice encryption software that password-protects and encrypts files/folders. In my searches I have came across 2 programs, Codex, and SecurityServices, which are two simple programs that seem to be able to get the job done, but before I pay the shareware fee for any of them I wanted to see if someone could provide advice on which to chose, or point me in the direction of another really good program that is also not terribly expensive. I am not too knowledgable in this area so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Best encryption program?

Hey...

I'm not sure what purposes you need it for...

but a poor-man's encryption is to simply create a new Disk Image with Disk Copy in OS X.

Set it to Encrypted. And use it as a directory.

When you mount it, it should ask for the password.

arn

3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

if you could get away with not encrypting folders you should try cypher. it's free and seems to work pretty well. you can find it on versiontracker.com

4. starcrossed thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice Arn. I tried Disk Copy and works alright, using one of the same alogarithms that the other programs use. One final question, is there a nice way in Disk Copy to keep encrypting a changing file/folder. Cause it seems to obviously place the disk on my desktop and open it, but it won't let me place anything in the disk, so it seems like the only way would be to copy its contents to the HD and then start the procedure all over with Disk Copy. I'm not really complaing, I just want to know if this is the right way to accomplish it or is there a simplier way. Again thanks for the advice. Hopefully will save me $15-20 bucks to put in my Panther stash.:)

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hmm... I seem to be able to copy and use files on the mounted disk image.

arn

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hi starcrossed, i think i can help you out. a couple of weeks ago i was looking for something that could do the same thing as well, then i heard that Disk Copy could do it.

when you create a new blank image, you can change the size, as well as if it's read only, write only, or read and write. if you make a image that is 'read and write' when it is mounted you'll be able to use it like a normal drive. you can copy stuff to it, trash stuff that's on it etc.

hope that helps. :)