Best external Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by asherman13, Nov 4, 2005.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

i'm looking for a decent firewire external HD for me to backup my ipod videos onto. any recommendations for +20GB, <$100, external hard drive?

2. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I have had a lot of luck with the D2 series from Lacie (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10511). Currently I have 2 of them, a 160GB and a 200GB, and am looking at purchasing a 3rd, 250GB. The new ones have a triple interface, USB 2.0, Firewire 400 and Firewire 800, so they work great for daisy chaining too.

oops... I missed the whole part about <100. Honestly, you should buy buy a drive at least capable of backing up your entire primary drive, if that is what you will be using it for. You should be on the look out for a 5200 rpm set up, any faster and you will be putting out my cash.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Under $100? You'll have a hard time finding a new one at the price.
    Over 20 Gb -- the minimum size these days is 80 Gb.
    You can look for sales on the Acomdata external hard drive -- if you have a local store that's advertising a sale on the "USB2" 160 Gb Acomdata, ask them to open the box for you. You'll probably see it has a Firewire connection as well as a USB2 connection.

Otherwise, buy an external Firewire case for US$40 - $50, and install the IDE (Parallel ATA) hard drive of your choice, new or used whatever you can find in your budget range.

4. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I find it cheaper if you buy a hdd and a exclosure seperately. Ive seen a 160, 7200rpm hard drive in a compusa paper for 60$ and you can get a firewire enclosure for around 40$.

5. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

a firewire case/enclosure? how does that work?

----

would that (total) cost <100$?

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Depends entirely on how good a sale you can find on a hard drive mechanism of sufficient size for your liking.

Installing the drive is a matter of 2 minutes and a screwdriver.

7. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

That is what I did and it works GREAT! :)

8. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I hear LaCie is good.
    Here's one that fit your description (kinda).

This one is nice because it's small (tape cassette sized), lightweight, uses both USB & Firewire, and I think best of all it doesn't require a power adaptor.

10. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I also built my own drive. Check new egg for a FW/USB2.0 enclosure and wait for a good deal on a hard drive. I got a 200 gig external drive set up for just under 100 bucks. Works like a champ. Has OSX installed on it with discwarrior and some other Rescue stuff. It has saved my butt twice for repairing my interal drive.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sorry, I'm too lazy right now to do it for you, but search for "enclosure", "HDD", "hard drive" and "external" in various combinations in the Forums and you'll find a myriad of threads which already discuss the pros and cons of external HDs versus HD enclosures, and so forth. Hopefully that will be some help to you as well. :cool:

12. Michael7k macrumors member

Macworld Dec 05 issue mentioned the Black Series Triple Interface as desktop hard drive while portable went to LaCie design by FA Porsche. The article was of interest as I also have been looking for an external hard drive.

Good luck in your search.

http://www.iomega.com/direct/produc...&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=63191&bmUID=1131169296937

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yeah... but the smallest iOmega is almost double the OP's budget.

Can't follow the Apple store link on the LaCie Pocket drive, but Apple sells the 40 Gb LaCie FW & USB 2.5" drive for US$119

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

One note that I like to make when people are discussing Lacie drives, is that Lacie does not actually manufacture their own hard drives. They put everything together, and come up with a great complete package for the most part, don't get me wrong, however many people have the misunderstanding that Lacie actually makes hard drives - they don't. Pop open a Lacie drive and you will most likely find a Maxtor or Seagate drive inside.

Just wanted to mention that for what it's worth. :cool:

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds familiar, isn't that largely what Apple does in many areas too?

In this case though the main issue is thermal management and LaCie does a fairly decent job of keeping their external drives cool and functioning at their peak. This is harder to achieve with a cheap plastic enclosure.

B

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Absolutely, that was my point. Apple themselves do not make any of the components inside their machines, but look at the final product. :cool:

Yes, they do indeed do a good job. And yes, it's harder to achieve with a "cheap plastic enclosure" - hence why it makes good sense not to buy something cheap like this, and buy a high quality one. ;) It is no different than buying a high quality external drive rather than a cheap one, it's just common sense. :cool:

17. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

19. Nikore macrumors newbie

20. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

He doesn't mean a direct conversion. Electronics are generally cheaper in the US.

21. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Yep, that's a Pound Sterling sign - dunno how you'd make the symbol on anything other than a Uk keyboard. Shift 3 for me.

You have to remember that prices of electrical goods isn't just a straight conversion at the prevailing exchange rate. Electrical goods are just cheaper in the US, and it's often (very unfairly) a there-or-thereabouts £ --> $ swap. That's why NYC is flooded with Brits at Christmas time. Shopping, man, shopping!

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

oh, I see. I had no idea, thanks Marky_Mark and sjpetry

If you use Shift 3 to get the Pound sign? How did you get the "$" sign?
    I didn't realize that keyboards were that different. I just assumed that the "$" on my keyboard would be replaced with the "£" on your keyboard.
    (I used copy & paste to get it that time ;) )

EDIT: I just looked online - wow, all of your symbols are in different places! I kinda like yours more.

23. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

This is probably a stupid question, but why do you need the "$" in the UK?