best external hard-drives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by toaster_oven, Sep 11, 2003.

1. toaster_oven macrumors regular

I am looking for the best possible external hard-drive for my money.

i'm hoping to find something under $300 (maybe even under $200) - maximum storage for my dollar is a must.

i'm also interested in fan-less hard-drives... is there anything anyone can tell me about them?

any help is great!

-the toaster

2. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

OWC mewcury elite and Lacie are two great choices they both use external power supplies so they do not have fans which does make them a lot quieter. THe Older Lacies did use onboard power supplies and fans I know because I had 2 of them I now use the owc drives with the Oxford 911 chip. Lacie FW drives or OWC drives both companies offer 200GB models for 299.99 and 120GB models for about 200 bucks good luck-RAM:cool:

Hey I was just checking Lacie's website and I looked under clearance and I saw a 160GB FW drive for 189.99 and a 180 GB FW drive for 249.99 of course they are both reconditioned but they both include a warranty.Lacie Clearance

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

In my experience, LaCie is the best option. Hugs hard drives (in terms of data) that are pretty inexpensive. For $300 you can get a 200 GB hard drive. They're great products. Go for it.

4. .a macrumors regular

i just got two external lacie d2 drives (160 gb each) - they are nice looking and are quite okay! i would go for them! they were 328 swiss franks, i bet you'll get a better price oversea!
    .a

5. neut macrumors 68000

neut

OWC or Lacie.

OWC seems to be the cheaper route.

fanless, 0xford chipset, and a huge cache.

(i think it can run without the power supply, but my PC @ work won't recognize it).

peace.