Best External Harddrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bdugan, Feb 11, 2007.

1. bdugan macrumors regular

Hello, I wish to purchase a new external harddrive for my macbookpro. I want something that is very mac compatible, and also goes along with the whole mac theme, such as silver casing. Anything 100gb or more.

TIA.

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I've got a 400gb Freecom drive. I like it a lot. It's a fanless design so almost silent (just the noise of the drive seeking and even that's pretty quiet). Well built and looks pretty nice. Its an aluminum case which does a decent job of dissipating the heat, and even after using it constantly all day it's only warm to the touch. Also a bargain at £94 for 400gb.

Another bonus is that it will power down the drive when you unmount it on the Mac.

Link.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

the western digital hard drives are really good, i own three of them...they dont necessarily go with the whole mac theme...but they still look really cool

4. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I like the drives from OWC - http://www.macsales.com

they are high quality drives and I've never had a problem with any of them.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have had my eyes on a WiebeTech ToughTech Mini. I have yet to get one, but most likely will soon, unless I am otherwise persuaded.

6. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

I'm also considering to buy a WD MyBook. Over here in Europe, they offer 3 years warranty for it, that's way more that any of the LaCie drives. Furthermore, it seems to be one of the cheaper options. I don't like that whole 'book look' idea, though.

One of my friend owns one and is pretty pleased with it. It's very silent, even though you hear the vibration a little bit if its standing on the table (not if you put a book in between). But I guess that's the case for any hard drive.. I even hear the one in my Powerbook vibrating now and then..

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

ya...the premium ones don't make the noise...but the basic one makes a tad here and there....nothing odd...

8. old cholo macrumors member

old cholo

imho i have an iomega thats 200 g i got at FRY'S for like 60 bucks i think it was on special ive had it 2 years and no problem

9. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I have had a LaCie d2 triple interface 250Gb for just over two years. It gets a lot of use.

Pros: Looks nice, very sturdy casing, already Mac formatted, good performance, comes with a good selection of cabes right-out-of-the-box. The triple interface (USB/FW400/FW800) is handy.

Cons: The damn thing has corrupted twice - each time was after the unit had been switched off for a couple of weeks. On each occasion, I was able to recover all the data and get the unit working perfectly again pretty quickly, but not before I'd purchased Disk Warrior (US$91.90 grrrr!). Oh, and it hangs when my iBook G4 wakes from sleep (solution: I don't let my iBook sleep). LaCie support didn't want to know.

Oddly, I still like my LaCie.

SL

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I got one of these and the construction is very good.

Apparently it even has a label saying it is assembled in America :rolleyes:

Probably somewhere in the prison system :D

11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I have a 250GB Lacie d2, and I'll be buying the 400GB version soon, as this one is about full. I've not had any problems at all with mine, but I of course have my most valued photos backed up on DVDs as well. Just being safe.

12. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Well, I bought a WD Passport 120gb drive last week at Costco for $109cdn. Popped out the drive, put it in my white macbook and put the 80gb Seagate that was in there in the Passport enclosure. Both are working well (the WD drive is actually a bit faster and quieter). Its not silver, but a very mac-like black. :cool: :p

[​IMG]

hold on, you can get them in silver too:

[​IMG]

Another benefit is they're USB powered and as you can see, very portable.

13. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know anything about Quantegy hard drives?

14. Rokusaburo macrumors member

Rokusaburo

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Maxtor drives.
    I've got a 300GB Maxtor OneTouch III Firewire400+USB drive and I love it (plus it looks great next to my Mac Pro!)
    Also, depending on your needs you can get these drives with differenent combinations of USB, Firewire-400 and Firewire-800 interfaces.

15. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

Lacie 2d drives have been good here. I have two of them. A nice thing about them is the ability to chain them. They offer them with multiple FW800, USB, & FW400 inputs. They do run hot though. Been using mine for 2.5 years.

16. 925AS macrumors member

I have 2 Lacie Mobile Hrd Drive, designed by porsche. I have a 500 GB and a 250 GB. I've never had any problems with it. I use it primarily on my macs, but when I need to transfer files to a friends computer everything works great.

The only thing that sucks about it is that it takes a minute or so for my computer to recognize it.

17. JDN macrumors 6502a

I use a Lacie d2 320Gb with my MBP. I have never had any issues with it, and i use the silverkeeper backup software daily also.