Best external HDD in UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Steven Jackson, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm in the market for an external HDD for use with the new Airport Extreme's AirDisk feature.

Ideally, it needs to be 500gb and (if possible) have the ability to automatically shut down when not in use. (Is this feature even available, especially as I will be running it from a poweed USB hub????).

I've seen this on Amazon, anybody have any experience?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Dig...a_3/203-3004487-7855929?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

2. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow... I know it's a boring question, but somebody must know...

3. cdpilkington macrumors member

I've got the 250Gb version of that HDD. Been nothing but reliable in my experience, I'd unquestionably recommend it.
    I don't know how the auto-power off will work when hooked up to the airport express, but when it's connected to my MBP through firewire it powers down when it's not in use, so I'd assume it would do this with the airport base too.

4. zami macrumors regular

My son uses one of those as an external firewire drive. I seem to remember him telling me it does not have an on-off switch which personally I believe important.

Presumably when not in use the drive will spin down but not turn off just like a wired drive.

They are cheap for what you get so why not.

5. irbdavid macrumors regular

irbdavid

I just bought a 300GB Buffalo hard drive from play.com, which worked out slightly cheaper than the (equivalent) Western Digital. £69.99

Does what it says on the tin, and powers itself off when I sleep my macbook, even though it is connected via a powered USB hub. Slightly louder than the macbook itself, but not by much. Very satisfied, and considering picking up another one.

6. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

What about an internal drive in an enclosure?

I have a 250GB Samsung drive (very quiet) with an Icy Box enclosure, the entire thing wasn't too expensive, and when you eject the drive it stops spinning.

7. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, everyone, I think I'll go for it. What I really want to know, though, is whether Leopard's Time Machine will work via Air Disk, but I suppose noone knows the answer to that yet...

Cheers,

Steve.