Best External Subwoofer/Speakers for $100?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mangoman, May 21, 2003.

1. mangoman macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2002
    Second Floor
    OK. Looking to replace my ol' Cambridge Audio setup that cost me about $100 a few years ago (I'm taking it to work). Ideally, I'd like to get a little more bass and power in a new setup for the home/gaming.

Any suggestions/good experiences?

For the record, I'm a music nut, but NOT an audiophile.

2. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have just bought a pair of Bose speakers, and although they don't have a subwoofer, they sound great - for 89.99.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    check out the monsoon planar media 9's. They looks awesome and sound awesome. and i paid exactly 100 for mine :)
  4. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

May 12, 2003
    Fresno, CA (Prescott, AZ for school)
    Anyone care to comment on Apple's Pro speakers? I have a feeling they're probably just ok. I've also seen some nifty JBL Creature speakers on apple website. Anyone care to comment on if either are worth the cash? I've got a POwerMac Dual 1GHz/MDD and so far I've gotten by with the built-in and a pair of headphones.
  5. Datazoid macrumors regular

May 10, 2002
    Pro Speakers: OK if you don't really listen to music on the computer (frequently), and definitely don't turn it up loud.

JBL Creatures: Decent, but not exceptional speakers. I got them because they are the best balance of sound/aesthetics for the cost, I just can't stand having things that DON'T match my iMac, it just seems to negate the point of having it. There isn't anything *wrong* with the sound quality, however, but I would agree that Monsoon's planar speakers have better sound.

By the way, I own/have owned all products mentioned above....
  6. scmacdaddy macrumors regular

Dec 4, 2002
    Altec Lansing 621. Huge Bass. Great Sound. Good Price.
  7. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    well at like 120 total they are a bit more, but the apple pro speakers and a subwoofer should do it for you. I tried the apple pro speakers out at my friends house the other day (lucky bum has G4 tower) and they sounded better then my AIWA stereo that I usually connect my computer up to.
  8. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i just bought some speakers last weekend, i went and listened to a whole bunch, originally looking at getting the JBL Creature ones as they'd go with my iMac. The Pro Speakers I already have are decent, but lack bass and one is now rattling a bit from too much volume. I listened to those Bose ones, the JBL ones, some Klipsch (at twice the price) ones, and a few others too, and the ones that did it for me were the Altec Lansing ATP3 which are unfortunately black, but stylewise pretty good. They sound fantastic for the price ($80) and much better than everything else I heard, although the JBL Creatures came second, they were $50 more. Someone else came to the same conclusion I did at the time too, and bought the same, and we both made the same sort of comments, i.e. that we both like music, know good speakers when we hear them etc... So yeah, ATP3.
  9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2003
    If you're willing to spend a little more, a little more meaning roughly 60-70 more then your targeted ben frank, go with Klipsch's Promedia 2.1's. Hands down best 2.1 system out on the market. They've been out for a number of years but I have yet to see or hear for that matter another set of 2.1's rival them.
  10. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2002
    Second Floor
  11. iMook macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2003
    Technically, calling speakers "2.1" is a misnomer.

2.1 refers to the signal output of a sound card/surround receiver/etc. The woofer channel requires far less bandwidth, since it only carries low-freq signals, so it was dubbed .1, or 1/10 of a sound channel.

x.y = # satellites . # woofers (in the signal)

Unless there are actually 3 separate signal cables going to your speakers (which is rare in comp. speakers) they're not "2.1" in techie talk.

But usually, common speaker designations are:
    7.1 = 7 sats + 1 sub (more useful than 6.1, but still overkill)
    6.1 = 6 sats + 1 sub (overkill)
    5.1 = five sats + 1 sub,
    4.2 = 4 sats + 2 subs
    (Klipsch is the only company I know who make these, helluva lotta bass, then again, they just came out with their daisy-chain Wall o' Bass...)
    4.1 = 4 sats + 1 sub
    2.1 = stereo + sub

(I heard somewhere that the THX standard people are tinkering with 12.2, which is frickin' INSANE)

P.S. - Anyone know the name of the company that makes the ultra-luxury speakers that look like nautilus shells? I keep thinking Bang & Olufsen, but they're not the ones.
  12. madforrit macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    I have the JBL Creatures. Got 'em for $99 at the ipod event. I think otherwise they retail for $129, unless the price has gone down.
    They look pretty spiffy next to my 20" ACD. The sound quality is not bad, but I'm sure you could find better. They look freakin' awesome though, IMHO, and touch-capacitance volume buttons always get an ooo from friends.
    The only complaint I have with them is it would be great if they had a headphone jack somewhere on them.
  13. madforrit macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    Yeah, they're made by B&W (Bowers and Wilkins) and referred to as the Nautilus Series. The highest end ones run for only $35,000 a pair. :D B&W make awesome speakers...we have a pair of them (not the Nautilus) in our home theater and coupled with a nice amp (300 watts/channel), Matrix rocks!

(Edit: Check out these sweet speakers at B&W )