Best file format for iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by manosaurus, Sep 30, 2006.

1. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Is there a format that sounds best? Is there a format that uses less space? Right now my iTunes library consists mostly of of AAC and MPEG audio files so is either one preferable when it comes to size or quality?

TIA

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I'm perfectly happy with AAC at 128k. Some people prefer higher encoding. AAC will be higher quality than mp3 at the same bitrate. A lot of people her seem to like 160 or 192, but I'm content with 128.

Question 10 on this page has a discussion and a useful table at the bottom that will give you a rough idea

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

AAC is definately better than MP3. I encode my AACs at 128, and my MP3s at 160 or 192. I have to try to re-encode all my MP3s to AAC sometime though...

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

AAC is the way to go for most.

you could also use Apple's Lossless Encoder which lets you preserve some of the intricacies of a particular song or album. this results in much larger file sizes, though.

5. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Yeah, AAC is nice. Different between AAC-128 and CD, for me, is negligable. Definitely better than mp3. I notice a bit of a really high frequency... I don't know... tone from mp3 that I can't hear with AAC. So yeah, AAC is better.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

here...

AIFF, Lossless, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, MP3 and WMA, in that order.

I like 160 AAC, 96 Ogg and/or 192 MP3. AAC is good for everyday use and such, and lossless is basically a requirement if you're going to plug your iPod into a NICE system.