Best file format to use for songs?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ID008, Dec 12, 2006.

1. ID008 macrumors newbie

I want 128-192kbps bit rate on my songs. If I want these what is the most space convenient file type to use? MP3? AAC?

I want the file to easily be played on both my computer and iPod as well as have the best quality for the size. Basically what are the difference between the different file types.

I tried wikipedia and google and found some info regarding this but not enough to give me much info comparing both of them.

2. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

I think the vast majority of people will say AAC is better than MP3 at a given bit-rate (that is, AAC will sound better encoded at 128kbps (or whatever else) than MP3 will when encoded at the same bit-rate, 128kbps (or whatever else), and I'd agree. Personally I keep all my files as high bit-rate MP3s, just because that suits me better, but in your case AAC is probably the way to go.

The best idea is probably to go and import one of your favourite songs at various bit-rates as both AAC and MP3 files and see which one you think is best, you're going to be the one listening to them.

3. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Yup & yup. The biggest difference is the age of the codec algorithm IMO. I also have read that most iPods take less juce to play an AAC than an equiv MP3. This may have changed with the more recent hardware / drivers.

I use 256 vbr AAC for all my music, but I'm a poor audiophile. YMMV.
    Its your ears that will guide you.

4. sven945 macrumors newbie

Well, 128kbps will be the same file size whatever file size you use! Enough people have said that AAC sound better. I personally prefer MP3 because they are much more likely to play on any device that I care to throw them at. I used to have an iRiver which was great because it would play everything I had (including the .ogg files that I've got), but when that died a few months ago I bought myself a 1gb cheap flash memory one that only plays mp3 files. If you can only ever see yourself using iTunes and your iPod then I'd probably suggest AAC, but if in two years time you end up getting a different MP3 player then you might be a bit stuck if it doesn't support AAC files.

jack