best file system for external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sedi, Apr 2, 2007.

1. sedi macrumors newbie

I just got myself an external hard drive and now I wonder what file system I should use on it because I have a Macbook and a Desktop PC w/ Windws Vista and Ubuntu Linux. It came formatted with NTFS. I primarily use Mac OSX. I just keep Windows for games and Linux for college stuff.

1) stick with NTFS and use MacFuse on the Mac and the equivalent in Linux
    2) format it to HFS+ given there is a program that makes it accessible under Windows Vista
    3) format it to HFS+ and make it accessible over my network

Which solution is the best or is there another possibility?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Many have found themselves in the same situation you are. My solution has been your third suggestion for some time now, and it seems to be the most effective.

In any case I wouldn't use MacFuse just yet; this is a personal preference. I find using software called MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/) under Windows to be a preferable experience.

3. sedi thread starter macrumors newbie

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You'r playing it smart. I wish I would have asked myself a few more questions before I set up my drives and my VMs

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

If you want your PC to easily access it, why not keep it NTFS on your PC, and share it out on your network. Your Mac can read/write to a windows share.

-Kevin