Best Financing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Super20, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Super20 macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2004
    Council Bluffs, IA
    My wife says that IF I can find a good financing deal, I can get the Powerbook I want. Compusa has 18 months of no interest. That's about the best deal I've found. I'd like to find something with no payments for about that long....even a year...I know it would be almost paid off by then. Any leads?
  2. Super20 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2004
    Council Bluffs, IA
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I've seen nothing better, though I've heard Apple is offering two years of interst-only payments. But that seems dumb to me - two years later (if you don't over-pay), you're stuck with the same debt, but you've been paying interest for two years.
  4. starcrossed macrumors regular

May 3, 2003
    San Antonio,TX
    CompUSA may be your best bet. I'm have yet to really find any other Apple reseller other than them to offer 0% interest for a time longer than 90 days. Best Buy and Circuit City are usually the retailers to offer good 0% interest for a long time, sometimes 2 years, but unfortuntatly they really don't sell Mac computers. All other Apple dealers usually have financing deals with a high interest rate. I ended up just putting my Powerbook on my credit card that had much lower interest than all the other retailers, and plus so I could get it online for the educational discount.

So my advice, if your anxiously awaiting a Powerbook in your hands, go for the CompUSA deal or if possible use your credit card, but CompUSA might be the wisest choice if you are certain you pay it off in a 18 months. And word of advice, if you go with CompUSA don't let them talk you into their warranty cause they will hound you to get it. Wait a year then purchase AppleCare, because with AppleCare you still can take it into a CompUSA to get it fixed since they are Apple Authorized.
  5. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Bad Idea :(

Apple finance is through MBNA, who usually have the highest interest rates around - around 20% and up. So if you went that route, you'd probably end up owing a lot more than what you started out with, even although you paid the interest for 2 years, thanks to the interest being compounded daily.

The CompUSA deal sounds excellent. Read the fine print, and if it's really that good, get it before they change their mind or the terms.

Good luck :)
  6. vga4life macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2004
    Save your money. Pay cash.

Financing a computer is a poor idea. Finance a house, not a computer.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    If you need to finance, then I would say that the CompUSA is the best. I just wish that Apple would bring back the one year no interest deal.