Best firewire DVD burner and software?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by DreaminDirector, Oct 3, 2002.

1. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

All this talk about new superdrives and the push for them to be slot loading/internal in the powerbooks has got me thinking. I just got a powerbook (800mhz) and if the next update includes a superdrive, I'm going to be mad as hell.

However, after the anger subsides, I want to see about getting a DVD burner via firewire. I've heard on some of the boards that apple iDVD and DVD Studio Pro don't play very well with 3rd party DVD burners. What is the solution here?

I make little videos of my friends doing stupid stuff and also I'm trying to build a nice professional looking reel to show potential employers. How do I create a DVD through a firewire burner and using what software? Anybody got any recommendations or suggestions?

2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Re: Best firewire DVD burner and software?

Dvd studio pro dues infact support 3rd party dvd burners, like a Que drive. Unfortuatly, idvd doesnt, and it rele doesnt matter cuz u cant get idvd from apple! You best bet would probably be getting a pioneer a104 drive (ie superdrive) putting it in a firewire enclosure and plugging it in. Since its essentially the same drive as a super drive. idvd probably would recognize it. O and you can get idvd from anyone who has it and how knows how to use disk copy to conpress the file into a .dmg file.

3. vniow macrumors G4

iDVD doesn't support any external drives (save for that discontinued OWC one with a software 'enabler')
    To get video DVDs on an external one you're going to have to go for DVD Studio Pro, unless there's some 3rd party software that I don't know about.
    Try Versiontracker. They might have something there.:)

4. Pepzhez macrumors regular

I know I have seen some hacks floating about which enable iDVD to work with external writers. I would check Opus Download and Sourceforge. I'm certain that you will find it.

5. ecino1 macrumors member

idvd patch

this allows it to work without a superdrive. Just take away the .zip extension. I just added it so it will post on this forum.

6. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Re: Re: Best firewire DVD burner and software?

What do you mean you can't get iDVD from apple? cant you just download it from http://www.apple.com/idvd/download/ ?

7. DreaminDirector thread starter macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

cool, but....

Cool, this has been alot of help. I however dont know how to put a pioneer a104 into a firewire enclosure. Does that make it an external drive? Would it just be simpler just to replace my DVD-ROM drive in my Dual 450 PowerMac? Can anyone at light to this firewire enclosure thing?

8. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Re: Re: Re: Best firewire DVD burner and software?

oops, i had no idea. i had heard before that you couldnt do it.