BEST First Date

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by UKnjb, Mar 11, 2006.

1. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

7on started a neat thread, asking advice on how to handle a first date (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=177914). And it set me thinking of my own first dates and how they had gone; some woefully turned to custard and others were good, but not memorable (chat, dinner, your place or mine etc). And I would be interested to swap experiences with others on what they consider as their best first dates. Me, I'm not interested in how long anything continued afterwards or the more intimate details, just the elements of what made everything so good.
    My own, for what it is worth, involved a research registrar at the hospital we both worked at some few years ago. In fact, I was sort of supervising her. We got friendly and quite close on a day-by-day basis and she suggested that we go and visit an historic castle (here in the UK), called Hever, where Anne Boleyn was brought up. It was all brilliant - she had made a picnic, the day was sunny and warm and we strolled through the castle and its grounds for a few hours just chatting, laughing and being ---- interested in the history of the place and exploring everything, including ourselves. There were no expectations of anything apart from a good day out and that is what it was. In the evening, on the way back, we stopped for dinner (yup, the chat chat chat) in a pub and it turned into a total comedy show from the other people eating there and laughed ourselves almost sick. I dropped her off at her home, went back to mine and phoned her up and three hours later we got off the phone, as daylight was breaking and I went to sleep. I don't think anything I am likely to meet again could come up to that perfection.
    And, for the record, everthing took off after that and went high-octane for a few years and then it ran out of petrol, as it sometimes does.

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah... Going interesting places is always a good first date idea. I find the worst first dates our plays, movies, or concerts. They can turn awkward and definitely don't allow for any interaction other then hand holding and stupid stuff. :eek:

3. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

guys, you know instead of a best first date thread...

how about a worst first date thread..

seems something more interesting to read about rather than drool over some else's first date...

just a thought..

4. UKnjb thread starter macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Hmmmm ---- i think you're probably correct. Shouldn't have started this one after a glass (=3) of wine. Over to you to start it, then, or hi-jack this one?
    FWIW, my worst one was after a regatta, had arranged to meet this girl at a rowing club party, got along fine - chat chat chat - hand holding and then some more. Except that I had had too much to drink and during the first kiss, which was long and breathless, it all got that too much for my system and ---- well, I threw up (barfed?) all over her. And that was that.

5. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

holy lord, talk about bad...was she really pretty?

do you guys still keep in touch?

im planning to call up this girl later tonight as well..wish me luck!

6. UKnjb thread starter macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Yup, she was pretty and, possibly worse, combined it with being clever. And no we don't stay in touch - I think I probably wrecked any appeal I may have had by throwing up all over her when we were kissing. Not a lot can be rescued from that, is there? "Hi sweets, this is what I think of you." But I did go out with her (younger) sister more successfully. I saw the Mark1 version at a Henley regatta a few years ago; I think I probably did the right thing on the first date.
    Hey, good luck with your phone call tonight! I hope it goes well for both of you.

7. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

Ok, I've got one, albeit it pales in comparison to throwing up on a date :p

My best friend had set me up with her cousin, I had met her once before and we had kind of hit it off so I asked her on a date. Well, once I had brought her back home and walked her to her door and all that goes along with that ;) I get in my car and proceed to backup, mind you, everything had gone really well up until this point. Anyway I start backing up out of her driveway and I guess I wasn't looking where I was going combined with the fact that it was really dark, but I back right into the ditch infront of her house (we live in a rural area) so I gun it to try to get out. Well, I end up getting my back end out but my front end is stuck now. You have to realize I drive a Cougar, so I really don't have any ground clearance, well I get out of the car to assess the situation and I try repeatedly to floor it, which as you may guess only makes things worse. So I have to call the girl and have her come outside, we try some more things, but still no dice. So she has to go in and get her mom who comes out and has to hook my car up to a tow rope and pull me out of the ditch with her truck (embarrassing is an understatement).

I will say this though, it didn't seem to affect our relationship, we continued to date a few times afterward, but we just didn't seem to "click."

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Well, at the risk of jumping back on topic, contrary to what became the OP's later wishes - my best first date was spending an entire day with her.

We just walked around Baltimore. We met up around 11 or so and just walked. After 4 miles or so, we got lunch. Then we walked a little more. And then a little more. We sat for a while, me showing off my fairly brand new, state of the art, all touch sensitive iPod, with a massive 15GB of capacity ("I don't think I'll ever fill it" - Ha!). We then met some friends for dinner. After that, all of us went back to my place and watched a movie - Barbershop (including the best deleted scene ever "You want boom boom?...I don't need to know the ancient Chinese secret"). She was leaving town the next day (and her friend thought that I was a great manipulator of women), so I didn't try anything. We kept in touch and she eventually moved back east. We got married (that was really what made it the best first date).

9. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

you know you guys got some interesting stories but i hope it keeps on coming!

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

oh, so many bad dates, so little time...

A couple of dates that weren't so much good or bad, as they were memorable. It's been a while, so I'll try to keep it real brief:

1. Coming home from a first-date in HS, she was giving me a ride home. I lived several miles outside of the city, along a long, straight road with farms and cornfields alongside. In any case, I leaned towards her as we were driving along, intending to change the tape that was playing in the stereo. She, who was nervous about ultimately kissing me (as teenagers are), thought that was my intention and kinda spasmed (for lack of a better word). We flew off the road and straight into a cornfield at 40 mph. There was a period of stunned silence. Then laughter. We managed to get the car back on the road and drove to a gas station where we spent about 45 minutes picking corn-related debris from the car. It was during this time that the reason for her "reaction" was finally given. We then shared a sweet kiss and I got driven home without incident. We ended up dating for three years and are still good friends to this day.

2. Just out of HS, I was up visiting a friend in Minneapolis. I also took the time to set up a date with a girl who lived up there, but visited where I lived enough to know her. Since we were both underage, we ended up down at this wierd concrete stepping-stone park beneath the bridge between Minneapolis and St.Paul (if anyone knows what I'm talking about, feel free to help.) Anyway, we sat down there, away from the other kids down there and drank wine and looked at the views. Eventually, I got the nerve up to kiss her. We were standing in a clearing, in the moonlight/citylight and I kissed her. She passed out. Fell straight backwards. I really didn;t know what had happened or what to do for a few seconds. I eventually got her to come around, and she was very sheepish. I insisted on carrying her back to the car and taking her to my friends house where I got her some ice for the large bump on her head. I got a proper kiss for my efforts. We still keep in touch, and that night still pops up in conversation. We never did date, however.

3. As mentioned in another thread here (sometime) - I was out for dinner at PFChangs, and my date was wearing one of those tops with no back (they just tie at the top and bottom). In any event, the top fell off, and neither her nor I noticed as we were engaged in some conversation, although (in hindsight) judging by the giggles someone did. I noticed about the time the waiter came round to the table to break the news. I thought it was bloody hilarious, and she actually was quite a good sport about it, although she turned as red as a beet. She excused herself to the bathroom, leaving me to field semi-witty remarks from the other diners. We are still good friends.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Hey, I was mentioned in a thread :D

I feel all special like.