Best first person shooter

Discussion in 'Games' started by fleabazz, Jan 25, 2006.

1. fleabazz macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2006
    edmonton, canada
    hey guys. expecting my first 'modern' mac to arrive on friday (15" 1.67ghz powerbook) after years of hobbling along on a lime clamshell iBook SE. now that i can actually run things, comments and buying advice on the best first person shooter for mac.
    before all you unreal nuts get going... i'm looking for something 'realistic'. i loved playing counterstrike over the network in residence back in the day because it had REAL GUNS. and REAL damage. YEAH!!! comments would be greatly appreciated.
    if anyone wants to slide in a recomendation for a bluetooth mouse, i won't complain about you being in the wrong thread.

boo urns
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Your first mistake is buying a G4 machine and not a intel machine for gaming, that alone is going to hamper your First person shooter experience no matter what game you play if that games makes it to the ppc version. UT2k4,Doom3,Call of duty etc. Many different types of fps so its hard to say which is best because many are good only different. If you are a gamer i suggest on changing your order and get a Intel Mac.
  3. truz macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2006
    Yea.. I'm siked about call of duty 2 which will be coming out in 4 months and will support intel macs. You should have gotten a macbook pro or a intel imac
  4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    Enemy territory fast paced ton of fun has some similarities to CS (not alot) still you cant beat the price so give it a whirl.
  5. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    #5 of duty? i don't know...most of the better games are PC-only right now, especially the "realistic" ones.

America's Army is mac-compatible and quite realistic (and free!!!)

I would give that a try and see what you takes some work to get into it, though.

if platform were no object, I would recommend a PC for games like that, at least until people start making games of x86 OSX...

Day of defeat, COD2, Battlefield (all of them), Medal of Honor (all of them), etc etc etc.
  6. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    anywhere, usa
    The original Call of Duty should run fairly well with medium settings on your new G4 Powerbook, but older games such as:
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (only multi only, free game)
    Medal of Honor: Spearhead (download free multi demo first)
    Halo 1 (medium settings, 1024x768 highest resolution)

should run very well (especially the first three on that list).

Make sure you up your ram to at least 768MB if you'll be running OS X Tiger, but even lots of ram will not help much with framerate - only "chugging".
  7. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    best fps=halo 2. period.
    but for mac, i'd say halo or ut 2k4.
  8. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    Uhh, Halo 2 isn't even the best FPS for the xbox, let alone the best FPS, period.
  9. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    i guess i should have said "imo." to me its multiplayer experience is so good it compensates for the less-than-stellar story and ending. again, just imo. it's also one of the few console shooters where i don't feel constrained by a controller rather than a keyboard and mouse.
  10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Wolfenstein 3D, or any game in the Marathon series...
  11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I've been playing this game off and on for 4 years now. I can't say I've ever played any other game this much. It's so addicting. Great game.
  12. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    Halo 2 was a disappointment. Sure there were upgrades in a few things...but not much different from the first one and the storyline stalled! I wanted to throw my Xbox out the window for not ending the damn story... it felt like I played through Matrix Reloaded...with the damn cliffhanger...
  13. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    personally, the best first person shooting game is Far Cry for pc, it has great graphics, better then any game out there, and they have a sequel sort of for xbox, far cry instincts, again a fantastic game, in my opinion better then halo2
  14. Kingsly macrumors 68040

I am also big on "realism" but unfortunately I am on an eMac and realism is not in its GPU's vocabulary. My favorite games (that run quite well on my radeon 7200 with medium settings) are Call of Duty, Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, and Splinter Cell. They all tend to lag during major action but remember what I'm running them on. I am sure a PB will be better, and I don't even want to talk about the intel macs, as it will make me mad that I have to wait 'till late February...
  15. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2004

I agree, send the powerbook back.. get a macbook pro - you wont regret it.

I know, its annoying to have to wait 2 weeks for it to return then a month for the next order - but it is 10000% worth returning an out-of-date product that wont give you what you want for something that will.
    I'm a fps addict, my 12" powerbook is painful for this genre .. both selection and performace wise. From what i've seen, the higher-end models aren't that much better.
    Thats why im buying a PC just for gaming.

Good luck!
  16. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

Nov 29, 2005
    I recommend you try Deus Ex.

If you wanted games you should have bought a PC. Sucks, I know. The truth hurts :mad:
  17. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    While there are more games for Windows than OS X, there are many games for Macs. I don't think you know what you are talking about.
  18. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Call of duty and United offensive add on pack. This is the best FPS for Mac and there are at least 3000 servers out there to join. I have it - played it all weekend!!.

As for America's army, it gets frustrating when you first start playing the game as you are an easy target and there is no re-spawn.

ps - also psyched about COD 2
  19. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Doom II.

Should just about run smoothly on your PBook :p

Oldschool baby!
  20. d_saum macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    How does he not know what he's talking about? As much as I hate to say it, he's right. Windows has the better games and they are NOT ports. I cant stand xp but if I want to play FEAR, guess what? Oh I know it will be ported to OSX, but ports usually arent as good as original builds. But I digress. He DOES know what he is talking about.
  21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I'll be completely alone here, but my favorite FPS of all time is Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. When you play on the modded servers with some incredible fan-made maps and this special super-sniper mode that lets you rocket jump with the sniper that game.

I became quite adept at rocket jumping and literally picking off two or three other rocket-jumpers in mid-air.
  22. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Just because you have a mac doesn't mean you can't game. There are tons of games out there, especially since we are talking about first person shooters in the thread. If we where talking about gaming in general, I'd say get a PC or a console (I have both). But Macs have plenty of FPSs.
  23. sunfast macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005

I would recommend Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I LOVE this game, it plays really well on the iMac in my sig and you can get a copy off eBay for peanuts.

"Protect ze Gold - KILL ZE INTRUDER!"
  24. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    Go with UT series

Since we don't know how your 'book boots, go with UT2k4. The game itself isn't that good but the Mods are great. Infiltration, Red Orchestra, UnWheel and a host of others that use the UT engine. If you can boot in OS 9 then UT Game of the Year is worth looking at. There still is strong community support for this game.
  25. Lastinline39 macrumors newbie

Jan 7, 2006
    You're all wrong!:D Best FPS for mac was Rogue Spear. Fantastic game, wish it had been ported to OSX. O 7th and 8th grade how I miss thee, playing on my G3 tower in the basement and then my iMac DV SE in my room. Sniff, nostalgia.