Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCorn2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Hey everyone... after just playing a demo of Call of Duty and being blown away... I was wondering if the Medal of Honor series was better/worse? Any help with the two would be great...thanks!
Joe

Lewisham

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
Medal of Honour: Allied Assault is a fun game, but Call of Duty is the best WWII first-person game.

Hey, get both if you can. The Omaha beach landing in Allied Assault is sweet :)

Chris

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
The entire single-player mode of CoD is incredible, but I do think Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (not any of the expansion packs) has one of the best Multiplayer modes out there.

CoD multiplayer is good, but I am addicted to the MoH: AA gameplay.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Lewisham said:
Medal of Honour: Allied Assault is a fun game, but Call of Duty is the best WWII first-person game.

Hey, get both if you can. The Omaha beach landing in Allied Assault is sweet :)

Chris

I couldn't agree more. Both statements are right on.

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
i will have to say Call of duty for sure. That is like the only game that I have ever played through in one sitting. It wouldn't let me go. As for Medal of Honor, I often pause and doesn't have the same intensity.

In my personal opinion, counterstrike has to be the best FPS. I don't know what it is about that game, but after playing FarCry, Doom3, .....I still come back to CounterStrike.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I've omitted pre-1999 games.

BEST WWII FPS's of all time:

With Vehicles:
1. Forgotten Hope (a free mod for BF1942) *
2. BF1942*

W/O Vehicles:
1. Red Orchestra (a free UT2004 mod)*
2. Day Of Defeat (a free Half-Life mod)*
3. MOHAA*
4. COD**

NON WWII:

With Vehicles:
1. UT2004 *
2. Car Ball (a free UT2004 mod)*

W/O Vehicles
1. Red Orchestra (a free UT2004 mod)*
2. Frag Ops (a free UT2004 mod)*
3. Half-Life **
4. Day of Defeat (a free HL mod)*
5. Deus Ex I ***
6. Doom III ***
7. Deus Ex II ***

* Multiplayer only (or really ultra-crap single player)
** Both great MP and great SP
*** Great SP and crappy/no MP

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
I'd suggest you give the following a blast:

Soldier of Fortune 2- v violent but one of the best
Deus Ex
RTCW
Ghost Recon- tactical and great online

oh the one and only Quake 3, the best ever...always...I miss it, ah well :(

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
I've always liked AmericasArmy for its realism. You can bleed to death and you run slower when shot are two things that I'v always wanted in a FPS. Once you get past the propaganda its the best free game I've ever played. A downside is that its all online multiplayer and the only singleplayer is the training. The best FPS console games that I've played are Halo on the xbox and GoldenEye on N64.

Champale

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2004
Chicago, USA
My two cents

Halo.

Awesome first player game.

It's also my favorite multiplayer game atm. The sweet feel of sniping some poor unsuspecting soul always leaves a warm fuzzy glow that lasts all day.

:)

Klopsi69

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
Operation Flashpoint has no rivals in terms of war baased fps games, for me anyway.

The sheer scale of that game is unparalleled, and the multiplayer is incredible. Shame there is no mac version...

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
What's with all the 3-4 year old game recommendations?

Even CoD was out almost a year before it came to Mac.

Most recent FPS, UT2K4. It's more "true" to the FPS genre... run-shoot-kill that's about it... well that an the acrobatic moves.

Otherwise wait for Doom3... whenever that comes :rolleyes:

rareflares

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2004
Washington D.C.
vraxtus said:
What's with all the 3-4 year old game recommendations?

because he said best first person shooter and did not specify that it had to be within the past year or so. :D

Call of Duty for SP, UT2004 and its mods for Multiplayer.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
rareflares said:
because he said best first person shooter and did not specify that it had to be within the past year or so. :D

Call of Duty for SP, UT2004 and its mods for Multiplayer.

Well there's also XIII, the Jedi Knight series, Quake 3, UT Classic, to name a few others. Personally I think UT Classic was the best FPS ever made...

rareflares

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2004
Washington D.C.
vraxtus said:
Well there's also XIII, the Jedi Knight series, Quake 3, UT Classic, to name a few others. Personally I think UT Classic was the best FPS ever made...

can't argue with you there. Though I enjoyed Deus Ex as much if not more than UT classic. But PLEASE PLEASE someone figure out a way to play it in OSX natively. :(

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
rareflares said:
can't argue with you there. Though I enjoyed Deus Ex as much if not more than UT classic. But PLEASE PLEASE someone figure out a way to play it in OSX natively. :(

In case you hadn't heard... they stopped the OS X port of UT classic apps... Deus Ex was one of them.

The closest thing you can get to play it in X is a buggy ass beta for UT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.