Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris1016

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
I'm sure this sounds boring, random, pointless, or a mixture of sorts, but I was wondering what the best flashlight app is. I had the jailbreak app, and it was great. Just a white screen with brightness turned all the way up. I do have "Light" from the App Store, but it doesn't turn brightness all the way up. Anyone have a suggestion, besides turning up brightness myself?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Just go into settings, then to brightness, and turn it all the way up. Works good enough for me, lol.

I think he has a valid point. it would be nice if they would do it for you.

I think emailing the author of the one or two flashlight apps would be your best bet.

arn

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I think he has a valid point. it would be nice if they would do it for you.

I think emailing the author of the one or two flashlight apps would be your best bet.

arn
I'm not sure if it's still possible. According to the author of this app, "the screen brightness is only accessible through your general settings."

Renegade89

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Nevada, USA
I'm saying just use the screen that you turn the brightness up as your flashlight. Its not white, but it gets bright enough for me.

You could always go to a blank Safari page too.

chris1016

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Just downloaded the update to Erica Sadun's "Light" and it turns brightness all the way up! :D

Works just like the old jailbreak app, except with a few extra colors and flashes in Settings.

Daphoid

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
Canada
I like this one more cause you can change the setting in the app itself. Heres the link

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284885844&mt=8

While those settings are all well and good, that app still doesn't do what the author wants; it doesn't turn the brightness to 100%, if you have it at 25%, it won't go any brighter if you move that little slider around.

That's why Erica's "Light" application is the best, unfortunately it seems to have been removed from the AppStore.

- D

Ding.Dong

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles
Just downloaded the update to Erica Sadun's "Light" and it turns brightness all the way up! :D

Works just like the old jailbreak app, except with a few extra colors and flashes in Settings.

I think changing the system settings is a violation of the SDK terms. That's probably why it was removed.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
MyLight has the settings you are looking for and its FREE.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284885844&mt=8

They seem to add something new with each update and its FREE.

Give it a try, I think it will satisfy your needs for light, concerts and entertainment...oh and did I say....ITS FREE!

Gary

While this app DOES have brightness controls, they're kind of useless -- because it only lowers the brightness from whatever setting you currently have it on. So if you have it at 50%, it will remain that way when you open the app. You can't adjust it higher, and it won't automatically raise it to 100% like the OP wants (SDK violation).

Still... it's a VERY cool app! A flashlight, strobe light (with multiple, adjustable effects), and even a rock concert lighter all rolled up into one...for free! Not bad.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
While this app DOES have brightness controls, they're kind of useless -- because it only lowers the brightness from whatever setting you currently have it on. So if you have it at 50%, it will remain that way when you open the app. You can't adjust it higher, and it won't automatically raise it to 100% like the OP wants (SDK violation).

Still... it's a VERY cool app! A flashlight, strobe light (with multiple, adjustable effects), and even a rock concert lighter all rolled up into one...for free! Not bad.

You know what? You are absolutely, positively correct!!!:eek:

...and the same thing holds TRUE for every single iPhone user that uses a Flashlight APP or the Brightness Control or Opening a Blank Safari Page...The BRIGHTNESS will REMAIN the SAME unless you go in and manually change it:rolleyes:

With this App you can adjust the setting from the setting or if you want it to go brighter then LIKE ANY OTHER METHOD you go in and adjust it....why such NIT PICKERY is beyond me!!!

USERS help USERS, I am so sick of the nit picking that is so prevalent amongst some of these posters....chill out! :D

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
You know what? You are absolutely, positively correct!!!:eek:

...and the same thing holds TRUE for every single iPhone user that uses a Flashlight APP or the Brightness Control or Opening a Blank Safari Page...The BRIGHTNESS will REMAIN the SAME unless you go in and manually change it:rolleyes:

With this App you can adjust the setting from the setting or if you want it to go brighter then LIKE ANY OTHER METHOD you go in and adjust it....why such NIT PICKERY is beyond me!!!

USERS help USERS, I am so sick of the nit picking that is so prevalent amongst some of these posters....chill out! :D

Dude, I think it's YOU that needs some chilling out - LOL. :D

I'm simply pointing out that the MyLite app doesn't do exactly what the OP wanted (which it doesn't -- and that's ok, it's not allowed). I wasn't criticising the app (other than saying the brightness adjustment is kind of pointless -- which it is, but who cares?). In fact, I was saying it was a VERY cool app (which it is!).

Peace.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Dude, I think it's YOU that needs some chilling out - LOL. :D

I'm simply pointing out that the MyLite app doesn't do exactly what the OP wanted (which it doesn't -- and that's ok, it's not allowed). I wasn't criticising the app (other than saying the brightness adjustment is kind of pointless -- which it is, but who cares?). In fact, I was saying it was a VERY cool app (which it is!).

Peace.

I'm a chillin my friend!....LOL :D

gounter

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2009
Best Flashlight apps

Seriously, the best app I ever used for a flashlight on iphone is this one : Flashlights. It is really the fastest one to use, since it remembers your preference.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
I'm sure this sounds boring, random, pointless, or a mixture of sorts, but I was wondering what the best flashlight app is. I had the jailbreak app, and it was great. Just a white screen with brightness turned all the way up. I do have "Light" from the App Store, but it doesn't turn brightness all the way up. Anyone have a suggestion, besides turning up brightness myself?

The Jailbroken one is the best. It simply ignores your phone's command to sleep or dim the screen. None of the AppStore apps can do that since they have to submit to the energy saver software.

Nothing is more irritating to walk around at night and have your phone go dim in the dark.

I'm not sure if it's still possible. According to the author of this app, "the screen brightness is only accessible through your general settings."

He is correct. All flashlight apps on the AppStore are crappy because they HAVE to obey the automatic dimmer feature of the iPhone. I don't want to have to edit the general settings everytime I want to use the dang flashlight.

So the best flashlight is the one on Cydia (Jailbreak). It does one thing well: It changes your screen to pure white -- sets the brightness at max, and does NOT dim or turn off until you hit the home button. (ok it can strobe as well, but who cares)

netslayer

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
That's not entirely true. My new flashlight app (LED only for iphone4) on the app store can disable the auto lock if you turn on the light and then press my lock button. The brightness control is part of the private APIs so we cannot touch those.

Free Version:
LED Flashlight! -- For iPhone 4 -- Free
itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/led-flashlight-for-iphone/id384281792?mt=8

99c Version (ad free):
LED Flashlight! -- For iPhone 4
itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/led-flashlight-for-iphone-4/id385053142?mt=8

Check it out!
Cheers

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004

You can have the BEST and fastest iPhone 4 LED flashlight if you Jailbreak your iPhone 4.

Do a search on Cydia for SpringFlash. It uses Activator so that you can turn on your flash even from the lock screen. I have it so that if i hold down the home button, it turns on the LED. Oh, and it's free.

enlevel studio

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
free motion flashlight for iphone4/ipod

Hey! I made iMotion Flashight. It's a free flashlight app with on/off motion controls. It's very polished and fast. Give it a try. iTunes Download Link

Main_240.png

doink123

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
I'm also a developer and have created a flashlight app. To answer some questions...

It's possible for an app to prevent the screen from sleeping (or dimming), so most of the flashlight apps should use this feature.

It is not allowed 3rd party apps to touch the screen brightness and that's why all flashlight apps are just "simulating" this change of brightness. It might be possible that some of you have used an app, which really changes the brightness of the screen (downloaded from AppStore). That means the app has slipped through Apple's approval process without being noticed (it happens sometimes) and apple will most probably remove it from sale sooner or later when they find out what happened.

...and my app is called Tiny Flashlight Pro + LED :) and it's the best one :)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tiny-flashlight-pro-led/id377459147?mt=8

And here's 24 promo codes so you can download it for free :)

T3F7YPJM3A7E
4JPJTAFK9MAP
ERX7LWNJ497L
AJNAA96KEYXL
3NR74R7X947N
THFHKTFX9KLK
KMPYRYKYW7MN
6JANWRP4AK44
4W7WHXELMNPM
K4H7HYP4FXFW
MTM9RM3JH4AR
YMMRWEYJM9NH
H3PP9NJLNMJJ
EAT3KWF3EXY9
749L9TWXWMF9
HPY6WYH9W64X
LK43M9HHJ4XW
FYH47PET37NM
KJAWJKF6YEXH
YFT7R6MY4XPT
KEKTTWYYKX3N
6EXPE66YMPWF
ATEWKLFH7M9F
YXHTTKXRF6KH

This is from the change log:

We have added one more light source to the current library!
The new light source is called "Warning Lights" and consists of two blinking yellow LEDs. The Warning Lights source is extremely useful when you have to warn the people around you. For example, when you change a tyre in the dark, you can use the Warning lights to signal the passing by cars, so you won't get hit by accident.

We have also made some improvements to the current light sources: we have redesigned the graphics in the Bulb Lights source, changed the active button image of the light sources button in the upper right corner of the screen, and fixed a small bug in the LED Light source.

This is all for now. Stay tuned for version 1.3 next week!

fourtyseven05

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
You can have the BEST and fastest iPhone 4 LED flashlight if you Jailbreak your iPhone 4.

Do a search on Cydia for SpringFlash. It uses Activator so that you can turn on your flash even from the lock screen. I have it so that if i hold down the home button, it turns on the LED. Oh, and it's free.

sorry doink, hes right. ive yet to see a flashlight app that can match this. i have mine set to "press the volume up and volume down buttons at the same time". that turns on my led flashlight, no matter what else is going on on my phone. capabilities like that are exactly why i jailbroke my iphone in the first place. so...
to OP, theres you answer. if you really want the fastest easiest flashlight, jailbreak your phone (takes literally like two minutes) hop on Cydia, download activator (extremely useful) and springflash. game over. =)

clarkkentt

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
LightClub

I really like LightClub : It flashes to the rythm of the music around you!! the design and animation are also pretty good
LightClub
mzi.ixzsjesx.175x175-75.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.