Best floppy drive for Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KevRC4130, Aug 27, 2004.

1. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    I just found out that I probably need a floppy drive for school. Honestly, I think it's retarded, I mean computers don't even come with floppy drives anymore, and blank CD's are a dime a dozen. Ah well, anyways, to get to the point, I need something that is cheap, works well, compatable with Macs, and good looking if possible. I looked on Apple.com, they have these:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...sLTu5L3eJz7u22RdOUAOY/2.0.9.1.0.6.25.7.11.3.3

and

http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...sLTu5L3eJz7u22RdOUAOY/2.0.9.1.0.6.25.7.11.4.3

I'm leaning towards the first one, simply because it will look much nicer with a Powerbook. Any pros/cons of either? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, something on PC Word and saved using a PC floppy drive will work with my Mac (with Mac Office) right?

Thanks

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Their internals are identical.

And yes, Mac can read PC format floppies just fine.

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

First of all, my condolences for having to buy a floppy drive.

I'd go for the one that matches the Powerbook. If you have to use a floppy drive, you might as well get a pretty one. :)

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

floppy drives, ive heard of those. . . completely obsolete. this is all you need to do. go find an old boot sector virus that will wipe the HD clean. . . drop in the disk and reboot the computer. the virus should cause havoc on the schools computers and they will not allow floppies anymore. then you wont have to buy a 'floppy drive'

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

...or just use email instead of floppies.

Lee Tom

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think you can say "Best floppy disk." Its like asking, "What smells better, crap or s***??" ;)

Get whatever matches your PB the best. I don't believe it really matters in the end. Or save some money and ask a PC using friend if you can borrow their floppy drive once in a while just to move some files over to a USB flash drive.

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I don't have my Macworld magazines handy, but there was a very brief review of an external floppy drive that had really exceptional write speeds, and, if I remember correctly, cost somewhere between $40-60.

It was in the last 3 or four months, so maybe someone else could help figure out which it is (I'm currently away from home for the weekend). Maybe it's one of the ones on the apple store site?

9. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

if I need something on a floppy (like never) I network to a pc and put it on a floppy there... but now my old PC lost its floppydrive because of no use and I had a zip100 to put in that spot... yes even my pc is floppyless now ;-)

so have a look at these: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10050

the 4x is maybe a 'good' option for you...

J

10. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

11. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I think he made it pretty clear that he has to get a floppy drive.

Yes they are pretty obsoleted but they still are useful for a lot of things. Sometime it just a waste burn some small file on to a CD just put it on a floppy. USB drives are reltively expisives. I have some teachers who like to have stuff turn in on a floppy. I just have about 7 floppies that I rotated bettween since some of them are always in the the teachers hand.

I say get a a the 30 buck NEC one from newegg dont wasted the money on looks because most of the time the USB floppy will just be in your desk out of site and out of mind. The drivers for it you already should have since even when I plug in my USB floppy on my computers it did not have to get any drivers (even from a fresh install of XP they where already there) Mind my computers all have built in Floppies. The USB floppy of mine I got for free and I only used it because it put in a spot that is easier to get to than the floppy in my computer.