Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

selene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2005
Hi!

Im trying to decide which printer is best. I think Canon pixma ip5000 or epson r800 are the good choices but i heard some complaints about epson and macs..

I do a lot of photo and drawing prints and i want to be able to use the printer in both iMac G5 and pc (i have a home network).

the hp 8450 also recieved good reviews.

can you please help to choose?

thanks!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've got no complaints for Canon or Epson with my Macs, even my older SC900, my CX5400, my parents' CX5200, or my Canon i9900.

I don't care for Epson's photo printers because they've always been heavy on the magenta for me.

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
I have a Canon i950. I got it about a year and a half ago. Right at a year after purchase, the power supply failed. I called Canon. They sent me a new printer, and I sent my old one back in the same box. No big deal, all was cool. Well, July the same exact thing happened to this printer.

As a side note, I also bought a Canon Zr60 camcorder (actually on the same receipt as the printer). The camera failed back in May after only about 10 hours of usage. The problem was s a design flaw with the CCD. I googled and found many people with the same problem. I contacted Canon, and they repaired the camera out of warranty free of charge.

These are the only Canon products I've owned, and sadly I've had problems with both. When they worked, they worked greatly. Both the printer and the camera worked well with my G5. I am still using the camera, but the i950 is parked waiting for the trash (or some other solution to present itself...it's out of warranty...too costly to repair.) The Canon service I’ve experienced is great, but when the design is flawed, replacing a flawed part with a flawed part really doesn’t help matters. ~Josh

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I've got an Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer, and a new Canon CanoScan LiDE 500F scanner. I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges, but of the two, the Epson printer works much better with my Mac than the Canon scanner. I'm having trouble with the scanner right now. It keeps seeming to drop my settings presets, and half the time I get errors about recognizing the scanner. There's no consistent way to fix it other than unplugging it and plugging it in again. I'm actually considering taking it back. On the other hand, I've had no trouble at all with my Epson printer.

Oh, this is my 500th post :D.

Prelude2Tragedy

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
New Jersey
Ight, well im an in-store canon rep. That being said i really like the quality of the epson. Stay away from HP, they really blow. If you looking at the ip5000 which i own and love to death, id wait another few weeks since canon announced a new line of printers in which the ip5200 will replace it and also feature archival inks with their 8 series ink.

In PC mag's 18 annual reader survery (to be released in September), Canon scored or tied the highest score in every category and was the only brand to have a recommendation percentage of 9 out of 10 people.

Also in the store that i rep in, epsons are the most frequent printer to come in to the tech shop for repairs. Mainly clogged print heads due to the pigmented inks and other just my printer wont print or turn on type cases.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, I have a Canon i960 that I love for photos and an Epson R300 for my printing to dvds just in that order. I had the R300 before the i960 and wasn't happy with the photo quality of it. Funny thing is it seems to print better on cd/dvds so thats just what it gets used for :cool: Now the Canon i960 gets the work load since I use that for text as well as with my AE in a different room. Hope this helps.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
My hp 5550 works great on my mac. HP just needs to update their mac software more often!!!! :D

selene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2005
thanks everyone!

i decided to buy the canon. i hope its the right choice. anyway i think it wil be always better than my old hp! :)

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
leekohler said:
ANYTHING is better than an HP printer.

Not true, HP is better than Lexmark.

Good choice on the Cannon. I just got the ip4000 (the step down from the ip5000 but almost the same) and it has worked beautifully so far. Photo print quality is amazing, fast and quiet. There is a reason the ip4000 got editors choice in about every magazine it was reviewed in.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I have an Epson R310 6 colour printer. It suits my needs perfectly as I do digital paintings and drawings.

Of course when I sell a piece I send the file to a professional printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.