Best format to save word doc in for easy compatability

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macgrl, Nov 24, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

I am going to be editing a document in work, sharing it with others who will edit and add comments etc. What is the best format for me to save it in so that there will be no compatability issues? they are using the latest version of word on a pc I am using ms word for mac 2011

2. macrumors G5

Macman45

Save In

PDF format.

3. macrumors 603

"I am going to be editing a document in work, sharing it with others who will edit and add comments etc. What is the best format for me to save it in so that there will be no compatability issues?"

I'm thinking, "rich text format with graphics".

Just about any word processor (and most basic "text editors") can read/write that.

Just be sure to let those with whom you are sharing the document(s) that they should "save it back to" rtf as well...

4. macrumors 6502

Since you said you are all using Word/Office. Why not just use the standard Word format (.doc or .docx) ? That should work. I migrated from Win to Mac, and am using Office on both systems. I can trade docs at will and have not found any issues yet.

5. macrumors 68020

John T

Useless if others are going to edit the file!

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks weynep. Is there any difference between .doc and docx?

7. macrumors 6502

I believe that .docX is the format for post Word '08. I use Word '04, but Microsoft offers a free utility on Mactopia to convert straight .doc files to .docX.

One difference (I think) in .docX is embedded HTML links to web pages. And possibly some formatting stuff.

8. macrumors 6502

I believe Microsoft is using XML in the docx format.