Best free email account for mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tim1978, May 2, 2005.

1. tim1978 macrumors newbie

What is the best free email account google, thunderbird, etc for apple mail?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I would personally say GMail, although apparently some people have trouble setting it up. Has worked flawlessly for me. :) Plus, since it's relatively newer, every $@#@ single screenname hasn't already been taken, so you're not driven to being tim_1978.x.156342.OMG.WTF@gmail.com. :D Although, to be honest, I didn't get my first choice. :(

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I concur. Gmail is fast, easy, simple, and above all - functional :).

They have directions on how to set it up with Mail, too, so it shouldn't be too hard.

scem0

4. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Bluebottle worked well for me, but they are not taking new people right now.

As I'm sure you know, any POP email provider will work. You can try a Google search for "free pop email" and take your pick.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Gmail from Google (as the others have endorsed) is very good.

Thunderbird is not an email provider. Its a program from Mozilla that allows you to check your mail. It does baically the same thing that Apple Mail does.

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Gmail is awesome. Very fast, way faster than using the web browser. Just remember to enable POP in your prefs...

8. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Another for GMail. It is amazing that they offer POP3 with the whole point being targeted advertising. But the important thing is they do, so GMail is the way to go!

9. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Yeah, another vote for gmail, unless your internet provider provides email for you, then I would probably use them. I love my Comcast account. But for free accounts go for gmail.

Notes: PM me if you want an invite. Just include some sort of email address. I know it's somewhat public, but some people still have trouble getting an account.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

another recommendation for GMail as well, its great, i actually have three accounts there, its easy to set up with Mail as well (they give you instructions) its a sweet free email service

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

True! Another point in GMail's favor is that they (unlike, *cough* Yahoo and MS!) have no track record of offering a feature for free and then later making it a premium option. :rolleyes:

12. tim1978 thread starter macrumors newbie

How intrusive are the target ads and how do they work? Because it is free is it secure?

13. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

For GMail? Not at all...