Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rand0m3r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
hi. i'm looking for a text editor on mac os x that has syntax highlighting for languages like C, C++, java, PHP, postgresSQL, LaTeX.

i heard textmate and bbedit are good editors, but it surprised me to find that not only did they cost money, but they were pricey. i would never pay that much for a text editor.

i'm not after spectacular features, just an equivalent to kate on linux. or is there kate for OS X too? thanks.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
hi. i'm looking for a text editor on mac os x that has syntax highlighting for languages like C, C++, java, PHP, postgresSQL, LaTeX.

i heard textmate and bbedit are good editors, but it surprised me to find that not only did they cost money, but they were pricey. i would never pay that much for a text editor.

i'm not after spectacular features, just an equivalent to kate on linux. or is there kate for OS X too? thanks.
You could use XCodes editor. I use Textwrangler which is good in my opinion and it's free. It is a watered down version of BBEdit. It will do syntax highlighting but you need to set this in the preferences.

Nuc

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I second the call for TextWrangler. It's basically BBEdit, minus a few features you will probably never use unless you're a web developer (and may not even need in that case). I use it every day for all kinds of stuff, it's one of my indispensible apps.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I second the call for TextWrangler. It's basically BBEdit, minus a few features you will probably never use unless you're a web developer (and may not even need in that case). I use it every day for all kinds of stuff, it's one of my indispensible apps.

Thanks for the tip high rez!

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
BBEdit Light actually evolved into Text Wrangler.

It had a couple features BBEdit didn't have when it first came out (kind of like when PS Elements came out). I imagine those features are now part of the full BBEdit by now however.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
It doesn't appear like kate is avaiable for OS X. I didn't even find it as a fink package.

You need to have the full kde environment to run kate.
Just install kde with fink and you can run kate.

Another good alternative is subethaedit which is free aslong as you use it for non comercial use.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
you guys are all a bunch of sissies! :p

Use vi :p

hehehe

No, really - I really like BBEdit, though it's not free.
in the terminal I use Jed

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
For LaTeX you probably want to use something suggested here: [guide]Install LaTeX on a Mac[/guide].

rtharper

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Oxford, UK
What is this world coming to? EMACS IS THE BETTER EDITOR EVAR!

And, if you download the Aqua-native version [http://www.aquamacs.org] you get AuCTeX automatically, which has all sorts of great stuff for editing LaTeX docs (I'm someone that depends on it heavily, I don't use anything BUT LaTeX for document creation).

AquaMacs is based on GNU Emacs, works with any packages for it, and is AMAZING.

ZOMG EMACS IS THE AWESOMES0RS~

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
The best free OS X native text editor that I have used is TextWrangler. But my favourite editor overall is Nedit, which unfortunately runs on Mac OS X only under the X Window System.

Runard

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
I find Textwrangler a bit lacking. Perhaps I don't know the app enough.
I do a lot of text reformating.
Like stripping of html tags
Deleting blank lines
Joining and splitting lines
Find and replace
AND most important
Filter files to show only the text I need hideing otherlines, so that I can edit the correct lines

tried emacs, but I need a real gfx editor.
Put of by its shell feel, don't know where to start to learn it

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
nedit

I use "nedit". see http://www.nedit.org for details. It does all the syntax highlighting you asked for, column moves, macros and so on.. It is free, open source and the one feature that I absolutely need is that it is cross platform. I edit text on Solaris (i386 and SPARC), Linux, Mac OSX and (please don't laugh) Open VMS/Alpha. It is nice to be able to use the exact same text editor AND be able to find pre-built off the shelf binaries for the more obscure platforms (like Linux/Alpha)

The other editor I use is vi.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005

TextMate isn't pricey.. BBEdit is pricey. $50 for TM is money well spent if you do a lot of programming. It saves me a ton of time. I even take my notes for class in it. Combined with snippets, my notes are super easy to take.

Graeme A

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
TextMate isn't pricey.. BBEdit is pricey. $50 for TM is money well spent if you do a lot of programming. It saves me a ton of time. I even take my notes for class in it. Combined with snippets, my notes are super easy to take.

BBEdit has one thing that TextMate misses, (S)FTP support. I don't want to copy files across to my machine to edit them, and then FTP them back. I want to just go grab it and make the edit remotely.

Once TM does that, I will gladly uninstall BBEdit. TM is fun to play with locally but, real work needs BBEdit.

Runard

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
Actually there is a workaround.
It says that it will cooperate with Transmitt 3

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
BBEdit has one thing that TextMate misses, (S)FTP support. I don't want to copy files across to my machine to edit them, and then FTP them back. I want to just go grab it and make the edit remotely.

Once TM does that, I will gladly uninstall BBEdit. TM is fun to play with locally but, real work needs BBEdit.

Just use Transmit. Click the edit button on a file and it'll open it in textmate. From there, any saves you make get saved right to the remote server automatically.

Direct SFTP editing should be possible in 2.0, Allan has said he wants to do a plugin type of setup so you can edit files remotely over various different mediums and make it all feel seamless.

Regardless, I don't edit files remotely unless they are tiny changes. All my edits go through subversion (which is one of those plugins Allan wants to be able to do in 2.0) and then I deploy them on the server. Unless you're toying around with code, you're gonna make life painful for yourself if you aren't already by directly editing files like you seem to want to be able to do.

Runard

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
I have chosen Textmate as my editor.
Mainly because it has:
"Filter trough command"
This option accepts unix commands like grep and sed and thus have great power in editing documents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.