Best FREE text editor?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by rand0m3r, Nov 10, 2006.

1. rand0m3r macrumors regular

hi. i'm looking for a text editor on mac os x that has syntax highlighting for languages like C, C++, java, PHP, postgresSQL, LaTeX.

i heard textmate and bbedit are good editors, but it surprised me to find that not only did they cost money, but they were pricey. i would never pay that much for a text editor.

i'm not after spectacular features, just an equivalent to kate on linux. or is there kate for OS X too? thanks.

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

You could use XCodes editor. I use Textwrangler which is good in my opinion and it's free. It is a watered down version of BBEdit. It will do syntax highlighting but you need to set this in the preferences.

Nuc

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It doesn't appear like kate is avaiable for OS X. I didn't even find it as a fink package.

4. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I second the call for TextWrangler. It's basically BBEdit, minus a few features you will probably never use unless you're a web developer (and may not even need in that case). I use it every day for all kinds of stuff, it's one of my indispensible apps.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thanks for the tip high rez!

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Textwrangler rocks - I've used it quite a bit. I liked it enough that I just recently paid for BBedit mainly because I thought the developers deserve support (happily I am eligible for the educational price).

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

TextWrangler is great. Think of it as "BBEdit Lite."

9. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

BBEdit Light actually evolved into Text Wrangler.

It had a couple features BBEdit didn't have when it first came out (kind of like when PS Elements came out). I imagine those features are now part of the full BBEdit by now however.

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

You need to have the full kde environment to run kate.
    Just install kde with fink and you can run kate.

Another good alternative is subethaedit which is free aslong as you use it for non comercial use.

11. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

you guys are all a bunch of sissies! :p

Use vi :p

hehehe

No, really - I really like BBEdit, though it's not free.
    in the terminal I use Jed

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

No, it's no longer free under any circumstances - you only get a 30 day trial.

But I stopped using SubEthaEdit before that happened anyway, since I found Textwrangler to be markedly superior.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

For LaTeX you probably want to use something suggested here: [guide]Install LaTeX on a Mac[/guide].

14. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

I think the OP ment Version 2.2 found here. http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/old.html

15. Runard macrumors newbie

Are there any editors that can hide lines based on a criteria?

16. rtharper macrumors regular

rtharper

What is this world coming to? EMACS IS THE BETTER EDITOR EVAR!

And, if you download the Aqua-native version [www.aquamacs.org] you get AuCTeX automatically, which has all sorts of great stuff for editing LaTeX docs (I'm someone that depends on it heavily, I don't use anything BUT LaTeX for document creation).

AquaMacs is based on GNU Emacs, works with any packages for it, and is AMAZING.

ZOMG EMACS IS THE AWESOMES0RS~

17. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

The best free OS X native text editor that I have used is TextWrangler. But my favourite editor overall is Nedit, which unfortunately runs on Mac OS X only under the X Window System.

18. Runard macrumors newbie

I find Textwrangler a bit lacking. Perhaps I don't know the app enough.
    I do a lot of text reformating.
    Like stripping of html tags
    Deleting blank lines
    Joining and splitting lines
    Find and replace
    AND most important
    Filter files to show only the text I need hideing otherlines, so that I can edit the correct lines

tried emacs, but I need a real gfx editor.
    Put of by its shell feel, don't know where to start to learn it

19. ChrisA macrumors G4

nedit

I use "nedit". see www.nedit.org for details. It does all the syntax highlighting you asked for, column moves, macros and so on.. It is free, open source and the one feature that I absolutely need is that it is cross platform. I edit text on Solaris (i386 and SPARC), Linux, Mac OSX and (please don't laugh) Open VMS/Alpha. It is nice to be able to use the exact same text editor AND be able to find pre-built off the shelf binaries for the more obscure platforms (like Linux/Alpha)

The other editor I use is vi.

20. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

TextMate isn't pricey.. BBEdit is pricey. $50 for TM is money well spent if you do a lot of programming. It saves me a ton of time. I even take my notes for class in it. Combined with snippets, my notes are super easy to take.

21. Runard macrumors newbie

22. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

BBEdit has one thing that TextMate misses, (S)FTP support. I don't want to copy files across to my machine to edit them, and then FTP them back. I want to just go grab it and make the edit remotely.

Once TM does that, I will gladly uninstall BBEdit. TM is fun to play with locally but, real work needs BBEdit.

23. Runard macrumors newbie

Actually there is a workaround.
    It says that it will cooperate with Transmitt 3

24. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Just use Transmit. Click the edit button on a file and it'll open it in textmate. From there, any saves you make get saved right to the remote server automatically.

Direct SFTP editing should be possible in 2.0, Allan has said he wants to do a plugin type of setup so you can edit files remotely over various different mediums and make it all feel seamless.

Regardless, I don't edit files remotely unless they are tiny changes. All my edits go through subversion (which is one of those plugins Allan wants to be able to do in 2.0) and then I deploy them on the server. Unless you're toying around with code, you're gonna make life painful for yourself if you aren't already by directly editing files like you seem to want to be able to do.

25. Runard macrumors newbie

I have chosen Textmate as my editor.
    Mainly because it has:
    "Filter trough command"
    This option accepts unix commands like grep and sed and thus have great power in editing documents.