Best Free Twitter App? 3.0 Compatible?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod touch Apps' started by legaleye3000, Jun 12, 2009.

1. macrumors 65816

I don't usually make posts, just read people I'm following...

Any know of any apps that will be 3.0 compatible with Push notifications?

Thanks

2. macrumors regular

GFSarah

I like Tweetie; no word on whether that will get Push or not, but I know you can sign up on Twitter to get SMS alerts when your "followees" (??) update. If none have push anytime soon (and if you have unlimited texting), that may be an option for you.

3. macrumors 68030

uberamd

I would imagine all of the big players will be supporting PUSH: tweetie, twitterrific, twitterfon.

4. macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

TwitterFon just released an update today saying it has been tested with 3.0 in general.

No mention of notifications though.

5. macrumors 6502

Twitteriffic works fine on 3.0, twitterfon was giving me errors even though the last version I tried said 3.0 compatible. Didn't try the one released today yet.

6. macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Love Tweetie - imagine they'll get push notifications as they're one of the bigger Twitter apps.

7. macrumors G4

Small White Car

First off, I love Tweetie. Worth the money.

But secondly, what use is push for a Twitter app? You're constantly getting updates! I mean, I guess you could set it for DMs only, or just for a single person, but the idea of Twitter Push Notifications seems a bit odd. When you read Twitter, you know what's going on right now. When you don't read it, you miss what people are saying.

Just like a real conversation.

So I'm having a hard time seeing the point. You'd ALWAYS have a badge with something like "25" on the app's icon!

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

Yea, but I don't follow that many people... So I wouldn't have that many... Maybe a few a day...

9. macrumors regular

anyone know if this is possible? i check my twitter on both my pc and iphone (using tweetie), is there anyway to make either app auto scroll to the place where the other app last read to? its annoying reading 20 tweets say on my desktop, go onto my iphone saying 30 new tweets and having to scroll through them all even though ive read them on my desktop.

10. Guest

iGary

Tweetie is a great app that just won an Apple Design Award at WWDC.

11. macrumors 6502

I read that Tweetie won't be supporting Push Notifications because it's not supported by Twitter. These are just push notifications, it doesn't allow the application to fetch the data every once and a while. Currently, Twitter doesn't allow in its API to push tweets to different Applications, it only pushes them as SMS.

http://www.atebits.com/forum/topic.php?id=323

From Atebits, creator of Tweetie: