best game for two players?

Discussion in 'Games' started by jelloshotsrule, Jan 8, 2003.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    so i have a slew of games... and me and my brother have been experimenting with playing them multiplayer on our wireless network....

the question is, what games are best for multiplayer where you just have the two of us either a- fighting each other, but so that just us is actually fun.... or better yet, b- the two of us as a team doing missions with enemies and such....

the key is that we don't have to go online for games if we don't have to (ie, using internet game rangers and such....) that way we don't get housed by the people who are good at the games since we suck at them.

so, any input would be great... the game options are:

red faction
    warcraft 3
    medal of honor
    jedi knight 2
    ghost recon
    soldier of fortune 2

2. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
  3. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    You don't have starcraft? I don't have experience with many of the other games, but as for medal honor, I wouldn't recommend it, mostly because all of the levels are the same, and ultimately the goal is to kill all of the germans and blow things up. I swear, that is every level. WC3 would probably be your best bet.
  4. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    RtCW is great for frantic melee action, but probably would not work out that great for what you planned.

The maps are far too large just for two players and there is no co-op mode as of yet.

It seems the game that sticks out the most is WC3. But if you want shooter action then I'd go for SOF2.

Hell, why not even throw in some good old Marathon co-op/deathmatch for fun. Even a Performa can run it. :p
  5. xelterran macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2001
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The Marathon series. :)

That was actually good with just two people on a network and it still runs on old hardware. Of course, it wasn't one of your choices...
  7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

I used to play Marathon Infinity with about 6 people on imacs on my network.

I would say you should try RF. I really like the game. What are the specs of your computer? It runs fairly well on a G4 500Mhz with Radeon 8500 and 768MB of RAM. You NEED RAM for Red faction. 256MB or below will make the game quit. If you have OS 9 on the machines, it runs better in that.
  8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Warcraft III! *Awesome* game (although Starcraft is also great). Also, you can play teams against the computer (I may just suck at it, but I've found the comp to be fairly challenging).
  9. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Quake 3 arena is gooooooood. Is like playing Doom but better in to laberyth and against each other.
  10. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    A cardboard box.
    Jedi Knight II. The bots are very smart, the SP is great, and the duels... *drools*

RtCW would suck for 1v1 due to the large maps and lack of bot support. If you were to play n the internet though it'd be a blast!
  11. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    JKII is great for 1v1 combat. I love playing it in multi player at the LAN gaming place dow the street from me. Red Faction is good for 1v1 if you want a more traditional FPS then lightsaber combat.
  12. Haberdasher macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have the EXACT same setup as you. While I don't usually get schooled online in multiplayer, it is more fun to fight my friends over our home LAN and yell obscenities at each other. It's quite a way to burn an afternoon. :D

Okay, I am a poor student, and I admit it...I usually only play games that don't require the CD or can be fooled using Disk Copy that there's a copy of the CD in 2 computers at once. That way we can play the game over a LAN with only one CD.

I enjoy these games over our LAN-
    Myth II (Get WWII Recon)
    Rogue Spear
    Deus Ex (Multiplayer Mod)
    Starcraft (Spawn)
    Jedi Knight II is a blast, but it requires 2 CDs.
    Unreal Tournament <----Former Fav.
    No One Lives Forever <---- Our new fav.

Hope this helps.