Best Gameboy games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Go on, your fave original GB games! And why? perhaps.

- Kirby's Dreamland. Game of my childhood. excellent, easy, fun game.
    - Mario Land 1. Just a classic :)
    - Donkey Kong Land. Never had a SNES so didn't get to play the big version, but this was really fantastic. great music, strange (compared to Mario) inertia and physics didn't stop it being played for a good 19 hours on my GB.

I can't really think of much more at this moment... yours? :)

2. LastLine macrumors 65816

Agreed on the first two. Shame they won't play on my DS :(

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'd have to nominate Donkey Kong 94'. It was such an ingenious game. There is still nothing like it. They created Mario Vs Donkey Kong, but they changed the gameplay and goal of the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_94

Others, Mario and Zelda, the first ones for GB. Kirby was really good too. I spent a lot of time with all these games.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Zelda: Link's Awakening remains completely untouched by lesser games. Best original GB game, period, unquestioned. Better than many of my console games, even today. I've replayed it multiple times.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Balloon kid
    mario land
    Metriod 2
    The avengers

Bless

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Tetris. The game that sold many a gameboy and still the finest version of tetris ever created.

7. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Pokémon(yes there is "´"of the "e") was for the GameBoy Color.. but still that game rocked...

9. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

there's been a Pokemon game for nearly every Nintendo Handheld =/
    and don't say you mean the original and being witty, because there never was a "Pokemon" it was Pokemon Red/Blue.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Of course i met the first one, There never was a Pokémon for GameBoy(or the Game and Watch HandHeld for the matter) They were 6 for GBC, and nine for GBA..

As it turns out Red and Blue were for GB

11. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Bah, I thought Mario Land 1 was OK until I beat level 4 and realized that was the end of the game!

Also it had a feel to it like it was another game like Mario 2 for the NES that wasn't initially suppose to be a Mario game. The characters felt very... untranslated if that makes any sense. :)

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Agreed, most of the enemies didn't feel like enemies that were in Mario, and the game engine and way physics work didn't feel like Mario. Fireballs that shoot up into space? The enemies and locations...Easter Island? Japan? Little jumping heads? Evil Sphinxes? Giant seahorses?

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

What are you talking about? Pokemon Red and Blue were for GB.

14. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Pre-GBA/DS Must owns

My favorite is Mario's Picross. Never played a puzzle game like that before.
    Donkey Kong 94
    Zelda
    Tetris
    Tetris Blast
    Q-bert
    All the G&W Galleries
    Metroid

I'm sure there are a ton more...

15. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Pokemon Red and Blue was original Gameboy. As was Game and Watch Gallery 1. The rest were for GBC.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This is why I enjoyed Mario land...it was different...refreshed my eyes from the mario norm. Ballon kid was sort of a rip from mario with a few more elements.

I had this transformers game...I can't remember but it was cool back in the days.

Off topic: I would love a bionic commando game right now.

Bless

17. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Really? So they were.. i guess its werid because i got one with a GameBoy Color... learn something new each day

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I was talking about the Game and Watch handheld.. which came with perloading games(none of which were pokémon)

20. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

agreed.

My favorites are:
    zelda: links awakening
    donkey kong land 1 and 2
    kirby 1 and 2
    mario land
    star wars: return of the jedi
    jurassic park
    pokémon red & blue

Man, this makes me want to go back and play these all over again. I still have my gameboy color and my gameboy pocket but I hate the lack of a backlight. Maybe I should just spend the $50 on a gameboy player for my cube and get it over with...

21. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Apart from games that have already been mentioned (Mario platformers, Pokemon, etc.), my favourites were;

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
    Mario & Yoshi
    Doctor Mario

I can remember playing these games for hours and hours on my older cousins Game Boy Pocket while driving through France on holiday about 10 years ago. My first ever Game Boy was the Game Boy Color, and I have had every one since (unless you count the updated SP with a brighter screen), Color, Advance, SP, Micro. Even the DS and DS Lite.
    I hope the Micro is not the last ever Game Boy, even though the DS has pretty much replaced it and there is no need for a new one. :(
    My most played recent Game Boy Games are Mario Advance 1-4, Wario Ware & Wario Ware: Twisted. If you have not tried Wario Ware: Twisted, you are missing out. It has a special larger cartridge that contains a motion sensor and a rumble pack that you use to play 5 second minigames that are fired at you one after the other. The main reason that I bought a Game Boy Micro was just to play Wario Ware Games.
    And if this is any indication of what using a Wii controller will be like, it will be amazing. So go out and buy Wario Ware: Twisted now it is amazingly good and most places in america sell it new for $20. (One warning: It is really hard to play on a DS or DS Lite, because of their size)

For the whole time that I have had a Game Boy Player for my GameCube (which is since it came out), I stupidly never reilised that it could play older Game Boy games than Game Boy Advance games. :eek:
    Oh, and sorry for writing an essay. :eek:

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I got one with my GBC too, IIRC Pokemon Yellow :)

23. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Never had a Game Boy, though I did have a Game Gear!

Favorite Game Gear games:
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Columns
    Castle of Illusions starring Mickey Mouse
    Krusty's Funhouse

24. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Agreed! Tetris on Gameboy is the reason handhelds are so popular, in my opinion.

25. MS bulldog macrumors regular