Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

f0ku5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
Hey guys, sorry about new thread as I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one asking about it.
I recently bought newest rMBP 15 (this one with Force Touch) without dGPU.
I know that it's not setup for gaming because I'm using my MacBook for work and doing simple stuff like reading webpages and mails, but from time to time I'd like to entertain myself. I'm actually VERY happy with Football Manager performance on rMBP, but can you point me to other games that I can run on rMBP without dGPU just fine?

I'm searching for games that can be played for many months/years, not some single-player games that I can finish and forget.

Currently I'm playing FM2015 and Hearthstone from time to time. More games that I can play on my free time will be helpful.

And sorry for my english as it isn't my native language! :)

EDIT - these games must run on OS X natively as I'm not planning to use BootCamp! :)

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Call of Duty 4 runs BEAUTIFULLY on the Mac - especially if you have one with a newer CPU (as I think the port is pretty CPU bound) - but for instance, I'm running it 100% maxed out (besides AA, because I hate AA, just fake and unnecessary "additional" resolution) and I get a near solid 91 FPS almost 100% of the time (91 is the max FPS this game can reach).

This is on a Mid 2010 Mac Pro with a 3.2Ghz Quad Xeon - basically a 2012 Mac Pro right before the new Mac Pro.

It's a killer cinematic campaign, and the online multiplayer is some of the best I've played. Very fast paced and reminds me of the good ole' Quake III Arena days. Just be sure to find a good, non cracked server - and there's plenty - I mostly play on FF servers (Fatal Forces), and all of them are super clean and friendly. They have one cracked server that I don't play on, but I imagine that it'd be OK to play on it too, if you wish.

Other great running games for OS X is pretty much anything from Valve - though I can't stand CS: GO's community and it's a joke for TDM - which I understand the game isn't made for but still, they can do better than that. But Team Fortress 2 is awesome and Portal 2 has an online Co-Op mode.

Dota 2 runs beautifully on Mac, as well, if you're into MOBAs. There's also Black Ops Mac Edition which I plan to pick up very soon (hopefully if it goes on sale in the next week or two) but it's only Mac to Mac multiplayer due to a legal thing with Activision (from what I was told from Aspyr's friendly staff) - but that could be a good thing, especially if there are plenty of people still playing. The campaign is epic, too.

Hope this helps!

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Minecraft - Obviously, runs fine vanilla and runs like a dream with OptiFine installed. Runs well even in full retina resolution!!! (forced via OptiFine)
CoD 4 - I agree with everything said above.
Valve games - 100000%, both Portals, Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, CS...

f0ku5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
Thanks for the both replies guys!
Are you sure that these games will work just fine on the Intel Iris Graphics? I'm asking this question because I was rather looking for the non-3D games as I don't want to put too much pressure on my GPU.

Currently I'm spending most of my time in FM2015 while I'm not working, but it will be nice to see what else lies there to grab ;)

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
I don't want to put too much pressure on my GPU.
It's not always about 2D/3D. As a great example, Prison Architect is 2D and almost unplayable (intense heat, noise), Minecraft, CoD4 or the Valve games I mentioned are all 3D and run cool and nice. For me this is because they all can be FPS locked. I have my FPS limit set to 50 FPS in CoD4, 60 FPS with VSync in Minecraft(+Optifine) and 45 FPS for all the Source Engine games from Valve. They run at these FPS (enough for me) and the GPU isn't forced to crunch any more frames, everyone is happy and our little aluminium laptop stays cool.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
I've been trying out Portal/Portal 2, Tomb Raider, Arkham City and Asylum, D3 and a few other games and so far have been pretty excellent. As well as less intensive games like Blast-a-Way and Trine. Had to change the resolution up one notch for Arkham City to get rid of lag and such. But quite impressed.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
I've been playing Black Ops as well as COD4 and both versions are awesome! Another ones are for example Tomb Raider, Hitman or for example Civ V.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3, Portal 2, Starcraft 2, and in quite close future: Overwatch:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.