Best GBA games??

Discussion in 'Games' started by Flowbee, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    My wife gave me a Game Boy Advance for our anniversary (she knows the way to my heart!) along with Donkey Kong Country 2, which I am slowly making my way through.

What are some "must-play" GBA games? I'm open to any genre... I'm even considering picking up one of the recent Pokemon games, just to see what all of the fuss is about.

Thanks in advance for your input.
  2. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I do recommend giving Pokemon a try. It was alright. I just think it wasn't much of an improvement over its predecessors in the series.

Anyways, additional games I recommend are:
    - Advance Wars or its sequel (turn-based strategy game)
    - Mario Kart
    - The NES classics they re-released
    - Legend of Zelda (Link to the Past from SNES and Four Swords for multiplayer action)
    - Mario and Luigi (an RPG, but very different from something like Final Fantasy)
    - Wario Ware (wacky collection of tiny mini games. Requires quick reflexes)
    - Mario Golf (you can't believe how fun the Mario Golf games are, even if you don't like golf!)
    - Any Metroid game
    - Megaman Zero series (it's an okay sidestory to the Megaman series)
    - Sonic Advance series

I hope you have friends with GBAs because multiplayer is a blast.
  3. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

Dec 29, 2004
    The Wood of Spots, NJ
    Tbsolute must play is DEFINATELY advance wars 1 and 2. Amazing games, for any system. That being said, if you like that type of game, i woulda also def. check out Fire Emblem. Another awesome game. I also recommending going a little old school with some Super Dodgeball. If you like wrestling, the Fire Pro Wrestling series is the best wrestling series ever, imo. Very, very well made games.

Have fun. :)
  4. technocoy macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    oh yeah..

astro boy is a MUST... it was a real suprise for me. as far as platformers go, it's one of the best i have ever played.
  5. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    I like RPGs and strategy games, and the GBA has been a godsend for those types of games. I would recommend:

- Golden Sun & Golden Sun: The Lost Age (Incredible RPGs... you shoudl try to get both and play them in order, as your save game in GS can be used in GS: TLA)
    - Final Fantasy I & II (I bought this one for Christmas, have been playing FF I, pretty good game)
    - Fire Emblem (RPG/Strategy combination)
    - Advanced Wars 1 and 2 (turn-based strategy)
    - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (specially to play agains other people)
    - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (pretty good platformer)

To second a previous post, I've heard a lot of good things about Astroboy as well.

That said, another game I play A LOT, is the original Tetris for the original Gameboy - that game still rocks!!
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Totally ditto that the Metroid games are *amazing*. :) The SNES ports were all great games on the SNES too...if I hadn't played them so much back then, I would've been all over them.

Also, I guess it's a remake of an earlier GB game or something, but Mario Vs. Donkey Kong was really interesting and I hadn't played a game with that kind of premise in a long time. Also it does a nice job of ramping up from super easy to getting fairly complex.

Crash Bandicoot made a surprisingly good transition to the GBA me, it's one of the few 3D platformers (well sorta 3D) that captures the fluid, fast and easy gaming of 2D platformers, so I really like it.

The other platformer I like is the whole WarioLand series. The GBA games didn't push that much farther than the GBC games, but nonetheless they're again, different enough from Mario to be refreshing, and yet really fun to play.
  7. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    I agree with everyone else, Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2 are at the top of the list of all games I've ever played. That's if you like strategy games. These games are pure strategy, but so perfectly balanced and executed it's hard to imagine anything better. Like most good strategy games, they are simple on the surface but very deep, and like chess have an almost unlimited replay value. I still regularly play them years later. 1 and 2 are almost identical, it's mostly just different missions, so unlike some games, starting with either one works fine. I also enjoy Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, another great strategy game, but with a more fantasy/RPG theme.
  8. Sol macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    Three of my favourites

The first game I ever bought for my GBA SP was Super Monkey Ball Jr and after two years it is the one that I come back to. Included in the game is the best bowling game on any system.

Wario Ware, Inc. is an amazing title. Just in case you are not familiar with it, when you play, every five seconds a new mini-game appears on the screen. Anyone who has grown up playing video games should own this title; it is a gamer's game.

The last game I purchased was The Pinball Of The Dead and I have to say that it is great. Devil's Crush on the Megadrive/Genesis was one of my favourites and this game is the same thing for the GBA SP.
  9. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet...

'Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow'. Best 'Castlevania' game since 'Symphony of The Night' if you ask me. Very similar to it as well. The biggest difference being that it's (obviously) not as long.

Great game though. 10/10.

Sadly, the two 'Castlevania' games previous to it are pretty lame. Don't bother.

The 'Megaman Zero' series is also great - if you're into shooting + lightsaber platforming action...

I'd say the must have games have pretty much been covered. Especially 'Advance Wars 2' and 'FF:Tactics Advance'. Sadly, the GBA 'Tactics' isn't nearly as good (or mature) as the Playstation version - but it's still endless fun if you just go around fighting all the clans like a bastard :p 'Mario Kart' is good - especially if you loved the N64 version the best. The only difference being that the tracks are 'Mode 7' rather than full, polygonal 3D. The upcoming DS version looks to just be an improved version of '64', so that looks awesome (unlike that travesty of a 'Mario Kart' game - 'Double Dash').

Please, for the sake of your manhood, don't play 'Pokemon' or card battle games. They're extremely lame (although, I'm willing to give the 'Kingdom Hearts' game a try). If you want an original RPG - a true 'sleeper hit' - try 'Mario and Luigi'. It's really good.

Happy gaming.
  10. mechamac macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2003
    I love my GBA SP. Some of my favorites:

Advance Wars 2 - I kinda like strategic army vs. army stuff, but I love this game. Zero micromanagement, lots of fun, loaded with options & content, lotsa cool units...I just saw this at Best Buy for $9.99. A steal for twice that.

Mario Superstar Saga - Very fun RPG-lite with loads of humor and Mario-style action. If you like RPGs and/or Mario you'll like this.

Activision Anthology - dozens of Activision Atari 2600 games emulated very well, from our friends at Aspyr. An outstanding pick up & play game. Some games don't translate to GBA too well, some games just kinda stink, but most are great, and there are some very good homebrew 2600 games on the cart as well.

Yoshi's Island - I'm sure any of the Mario SNES ports rock, but this is the only one I've played so far. It's a long game, but full of clever designs, great music, and balanced challenge.

Enjoy your GBA!
  11. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    The NES Classic Series Games:
    -Super Mario Bros.
    -The Legend of Zelda 1 & 2
    -Donkey Kong

Other games:
    -Metroid Zero Mission (this is the original Metroid 1 Game redone with Super Metroid graphics and and extended ending....also after you clear this game it opens up the original Metroid 1 you would not need to buy the Classic Series Metroid)
    -Metroid Fusion
    -The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (port of the SNES Zelda game)
    -Super Mario Advance Games (this has the original Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Bros 3, and Super Mario World)
  12. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    If you do plan on buying the games you should consider using an emulator to test which games you like before you purchase, then toss the game in the trash when your done testing. My favorites are

1. wario ware inc.
    2. castlevania series
    3. any strategy/tactics game
    4. metal slug (best action shooter since Contra)
  13. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.

So it looks like I'll be picking up Advance Wars 2 (I hadn't heard of it before this thread) and Astro Boy to start with. Between those and DK Country 2 which I'm really enjoying, I think I'll have my hands full for a while.

So many games, so little time...