Best GPU for 1.467GHz Quicksilver G4

Discussion in 'Games' started by esotu, Jun 14, 2004.

1. esotu macrumors member

May 31, 2004
    I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card. I have a new Quicksilver G4 with the OWC Mercury Extreme 1.467 GHz upgrade in it. It's running very quickly (on par with 2.5GHz AMD Processor) but I think the Geforce 3 is holding it back. What is the best current Graphics card that the Quicksilver can handle?

Thanks guys!
  2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    I believe a Radeon 9800 Pro retail is the best you can put in it...
  3. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2003
  4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    This is the best ATI Supported card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition)

The guy who sells stuff on Ebay has been used by people on this forum with no complaints before, so you might want to try him for lower prices.
  5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    See my sig.
    (Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver 2002 using 9800 Pro)

I need a DVI to ADC adapter to use it with my apple monitor but its awsome. Never a frame lost.
  6. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I put a GigaDesign dual 1.33GHz CPU upgrade in my Qwoosh '01.
    I also slapped in an nVidia GeForce 4 Ti (128MB VRAM) and I've been supremely pleased with it as well.

Definite increase in my gaming happiness.
  7. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    You should pay the "Mac tax" or we'll never get anymore graphics cards or even worse, those great utilities and demo programs we've just recently started getting. You're screwing the whole Mac game community by flashing a PC card or buying a flashed PC card.
  8. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

I really liked reading his feed back..

Received package as described. No fun to deal with, doesn't respond to email. Buyer ishotgun13( 57)
    Reply by amacapart: Looking for a Friend, any other lonely Ebay souls out there?
  9. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    get real there are pc cards that are not available on the mac side that can be flashed to use in a mac like the pci 9100 and the 9800xt (amacapart did it) ati is just lazy and if mac cards start to sell they will stay lazy and keep the price high. flashing pc cards is only done by a minority in protest for the hicked up price for the mac cards. ati has a monopoly which must be broken the "developing mac drivers costa ati time and money" argument is rubbish if a flasher can bring cards not availabe to the mac accross ten so can ati.

ati's behavior is awfull look at the 128MB radeon 9000's there the cheapest crap pc cards but they are sold at a premium and they may not even be as good as the previous radeon 9000's because the memory and gpu are at lower clock speeds ati's behavior to the mac community is bad, really bad, flash in protest against the lazy ati monopoly.
  10. esotu thread starter macrumors member

May 31, 2004
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. That graphics card is amazing, but it's a little out of my price range right now.

Is there a good Mac card for around or under $150?

11. RGunner macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2002
    Midnight Sun
    Card for $150

send me an email, I just placed one on Ebay which is in your price range. (not a 9800 of course).