Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Anyone have some suggestions for some of the best graphics games to date?

I just got my new iMac and I'd love to test some of the most graphics intensive games out there, but I'm not sure where I should start.

I heard Witcher 2 was a pretty good choice, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Skyrim is another good choice. Actually a lot of games have really amazing graphics. I would just pick one and start the long process of getting it to work on your mac.

edit: the witcher 2 was one of my favorite games. You should totally start there. Its very graphic though... if you know what I mean.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Skyrim is another good choice. Actually a lot of games have really amazing graphics. I would just pick one and start the long process of getting it to work on your mac.

edit: the witcher 2 was one of my favorite games. You should totally start there. Its very graphic though... if you know what I mean.

How do you mean "start the long process of getting it to work on your mac"?

What's a long process?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
If I had to guess, I'd say using WINE to make it work under OS X natively instead of installing Windows.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Anyone have some suggestions for some of the best graphics games to date?

I just got my new iMac and I'd love to test some of the most graphics intensive games out there, but I'm not sure where I should start.

I heard Witcher 2 was a pretty good choice, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Bootcamp wise..

FarCry 3
Hitman : Absolution (includes benchmarking tools)
Assassins Creed 3 (Boston area is particularly tough on a computer)
Crysis 3 (out soon - will undoubtably be GPU intensive)

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
The Heaven benchmark and 3DMark 11 are amazing. Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution, Far Cry 3 and Crysis 2 are all pretty awesome too.

nightmars

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Germany
But .... can it play Crysis I ???? ;-) (in max. settings) ?? Still the best graphics I have seen up to today... I would start there!

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Crysis IMO is still one of the best looking games around, especially when you use the high resolution mod packs.

Also, the Ultra settings in the game are not technically the "best" settings. Indeed, there is a configuration file which you can modify to adjust the reflection quality, draw distance etc even further.

My 5870 can more or less max this game out at 1920x1200. I can't max out Crysis 2 though, maybe because its DX11.

Last edited:

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2013
Battlefield 3 is very hardware intensive, but runs like silk on my 27" iMac.

I run it on Windows 7 via Bootcamp.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
I would suggest the following:

Mac OS Native:
- Borderlands 2 (the Mac version is heavier to run than the Win version)
- The Witcher 2
- Batman Arkham City

Windows:
- Battlefield 3 (I think this is still the heaviest game for the moment, and is used in plenty of gfx cards benchmarks)
- Crysis 1 and 2 with HD textures pack

That should be a good start ;)

Let us know what the results are!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.