best guitar of all time?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 31, 2002.

?

greatest guitar of all time?

1. classical guitar with nylon strings

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. steel string dreadnaught like the martin D-28s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. gibson electrics like les paul, sg, and flying V

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. fender electrics like strat, tele, jazzmaster

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. ibanez electrics like jem, satriani, roadstar

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. yamaha electrics like the pacifica line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. hollowbodies and archtops like 335, ES-175

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. ovation acoustic electrics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. highend boutiques...pensa suhr, prs, anderson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. pedal steel guitars, slack key, or dobro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

now that there are threads on musical instruments, playing guitar, collecting guitars, and favorite rock bands, i want to add this one for guitar players and or collectors

2. iGav macrumors G3

Semi acoustic all the way...... Rickenbacker 330 is pretty much the finest I've played....... I also like the Fender Mustang....... I don't rate the Strat at all...... I can't stand the either the sound or the way they look...... and Les pauls are far too heavy......... SG's are nice though....... :)

P.S. I'm waiting for the flaming on the 'Strat' issue......... :p :p :p

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

rickenbackers are great and they are very versatile

i like the rounded one and the pointed horns model of an earlier vintage

4. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

???

I couldn't answer the poll... it depends too much on the style of music you want to do with the instrument.

groovebuster

5. iGav macrumors G3

Re: ???

Very true.... the Ric is never going to win 'Metal' awards..... :p so groove what's you favourite guitar and your favourite style????

I play very melodic guitar, with absolute minimal solo's........ I also like noise...... kind like Sonic Youth style.... can be very fun to play....... :)

What about yourself??

6. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Re: Re: ???

As I said before... depends on what I want to play. The guitars I own are somehow what I see as an optimum for the different styles. But even then there is some "foggy" area that is depending on the song in particular, or when you are mixing different styles.

For (traditional) Jazz I love my ES-175, but also sometimes an acoustic with nylon strings (like Earl Klugh).

For Fusion, Funk and Rock I prefer my Les Paul Custom, but for heavily distorted and speedy playing with long sustain needed I take my JEM. For Fusion you can take actually any guitar.. depends just on the sound you need.

For flexible sound on stage, when the gigs (and stages) are not too big I prefer my "work-horse" the Charvel/Jackson Mod. 6. It is not really perfect in anything, but combines all qualities I need in a "live"-guitar somehow. Not changing the guitar all the time is a big plus, especially on little stages.

And I also like to play classical guitar, especially spanish and south american compositions or impriviasations.

I was starting to get a little bit deeper into blue-grass guitar on my steel-strings, since some of the stuff is really nice, but never really found the time.

You see, I like more than one guitar. But my greatest love will be always my Gibson Les Paul Custom I guess, maybe more because of sentimental reasons. I always loved the Les Pauls and I got mine when I was 15 (17 years ago), at a time, when playing Gibson was kind of unpopular.

It is just that you start to see guitars from a different angle after you started to make money with music. I have a very personal relationship with all my instruments, since I know exactly about their pros and cons and they are part of my development as a musician through the years. I would never sell one just like that. It would be like selling a part of myself...

But the longer I think about it... yeah... the Les Paul Custom is THE guitar for me, since it was my first love regarding an e-guitar. And you never forget your real first love, right? ;)

groovebuster

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

just rock n roll man... fu*ckit. pick up any guitar and get your goove on yo.

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

that is so true since i have had stats or all kinds, teles, les pauls, ibanezes, yamahas, arias, hollowbodies, acoustic archtops, dreadnaughts, ovations, nylon string guitars, and others as my "main" axe at the time

it's all about attitude and after i got somewhat better, i realized that the most important part about a guitar and gigging/recording, to quote keith richards, is that is has strings on it;)

9. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Of course you can make music with any guitar... but that was not the question I guess. The question was which guitar you prefer personally. I find it pretty normal that you choose the guitar that fits your needs and likes the best when you want to make decent music...

That's also why we use Macs and not just any computer, right?

groovebuster

10. losfp macrumors regular

obviously you'd use a different tool for each specific task.

I like Teles - I'm used to the fender scale neck, position of the pickups, tension of the strings etc. The balance is just right for me - semi-acoustics are neck heavy, les pauls are body-heavy.

Of course many more variables go into it. What brand and gauge of strings you like. shape of the neck on your guitar. the tuners on the thing. the bridge. etc etc!

IMHO the most influential guitar was and is the Fender Stratocaster.

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

if someone asked me if the les paul or the stratocaster was more versatile than the fender telecaster, i would say yes

but if i was on a desert island and had to have one git, i would go with the telecaster

my first was a 1978 telecaster with duncan 1/4 pounders, then a 1965 telecaster, then a 1968 telecaster with bigsby, then a 1990 american standard telecaster, then a fernandez copy of a '52 telecaster, and then a 90s squier (by fender) telecaster...right now, i have a ltd/esp viper 301 which is a completely different instrument

since i don't play anymore, i don't really care what i have as long as it has strings that stay in tune and a decent neck