Best HD cables for ps3?

Discussion in 'Games' started by aholden12592, Dec 1, 2006.

1. aholden12592 macrumors regular

Which cables should i get for attaching my ps3 to an HD screen?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Perhaps you should start by specifying what sort of connections your TV has: Component, HDMI, DVI, S-Video, etc.

3. Reaver macrumors 6502

your PS3 should have a HDMI connector for a HDMI equipted TVthis would be your best bet if not them go compontent.

4. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

Buy the cheapest HDMI cable you can find. Since it's a digital connection, the image quality is the same regardless of the brand you buy.

If your HDTV has no HDMI input, the other two (albeit analog) connections that support HD resolutions are component and VGA.

Generally speaking, HDMI > VGA > component, although some HDTVs don't really handle VGA that well, so component might be a better bet if you don't know much about your tv or if you are not sure that the VGA output of the PS3 will be accepted by your tv without issues.

5. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

well i looked at the comcast box and it says HDTV capable and it was bought about 1.5-2 years ago. So i'm guessing it's HDMI.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Your TV was made by Comcast, the cable company? :confused:

7. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

8. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Maybe you could provide the Make/Model of your TV, not Cable Box. ;)

9. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

no:rolleyes: i looked at the cable box and it said was HDTV capable. the tv is made by (runs upstairs) Panasonic and the tv also says HDTV (it's kinda implied in the size:D ).

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The fact that the TV is HD doesn't tell what kind of connections it has... and what your cable box has is also not important.

What kind of connections are available on the back of the TV? Or, what is the model number of the TV?

11. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Right. I have an HDTV Comcast Box, don't have an HDTV TV. Anyway, as clayj said, we need to know the connections on your TV.

Kevin

12. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

the tv is fixed onto a wall. the manual says the model number is 3 different ones (i don't know which one it really is)
    TH-37PX50U
    TH-42PX50U
    TH-50PX50U

13. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The 37, 42, and 50 are the size in inches of the set. Basically, these three sets are identical except for the size.

This TV has HDMI, so use that *unless* you need it for the cable box. If that's the case, then you'll need to go component.

15. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

16. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No. The only diff between component and HDMI is basically that HDMI is required if your Blu-ray movies are protected by ICT... which is currently not the case. Eventually, you will want to use HDMI for the PS3, but you don't *need* to yet.

18. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Not at all. People often say component looks better then HDMI at some points, mostly they say deeper blacks.

19. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

why would should i use it eventually and not now?

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You don't *need* to now. Eventually you may have Blu-ray movies on disc that will require HDMI in order to play at 1080p. Right now that is not a problem, so component will work just fine.

21. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

If HDMI is not in your budget right now, get component. Or if your TV doesn not have HDMI, get component. But you can get an HDMI cable that is just as good as EVIL monster cable for about 10 bucks or less on monoprice.

22. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

It's not crappy but HDMI looks sharper.

23. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

HDMI will look nicer in menus and text, yet component may look better in motion videos.

24. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

How did they even let you buy a PS3??? They should really have a test to use these things...:rolleyes: HDMI is DIGITAL, component is ANALOG. As far as "best HD cables for ps3", digital is digital. If you're using HDMI, the signal will either go through or it won't...so any HDMI cable will work.

25. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

now, when i am using movies i will be using a dvd i already have set up for the hdtv. I am only using ps3 for games. So component for games does not look as sharp as HDMI with games? Also, should i stick with the low end cables it comes with or should i get new ones?