Best Home Audio Speakers/

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Nov 9, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I am looking for a pair of Home Audio (floorstanding) speakers for x-mas, running under 300$. I will be moving into my brothers old room, which was an extention to the house. It has a semi-old 32" Mitsubishi TV already back there.

He used to have a NICE system, and now I would like one too. He recommended Denon (DCM) KX-10s or the FT12s. They look like nice speakers, and he has a pair of Denon's that sounds awesome.

I was also looking at Cambridge Soundworks floorstanding speakers. The Tower II model would be in my range.

I am looking on eBay, and most these speakers would be way too expensive otherwise.

And what about a receiver? Sony and Denon make nice ones, but what do you guys recommend?

2. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Have a look @ this thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46631

For an amp it goes like this in no particular order,
    NAD,
    Rotel,
    Denon,
    Onkyo,
    Yamaha,

There's plenty of others but you can't go wrong with these brands.

(Stay away from sony for anything other than headphones)

3. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

There's another thread about Bose that lists my recommendations- Blue Sky and event, if you want to also make music with them.:cool:

4. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

there are some great Eltax speakers around at the moment - they're very well priced too. Just make sure that whatever you get is bi-wireable AND sits on spikes.

5. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Bi wireing is good if you have;
    a) enough money for 2 power amps and a Preamp and
    b) the knowlege of what your doing.

The entire Energy Connoisseur range has only single imputs with the passive crossovers handeling the rest. They also come with spikes and rubber stoppers, since I have hard wood floors metal spikes are unreasonable, and the rubber stoppers are more suitable.

6. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Bi-wiring (AFAIK) is running seperate wires to your high freq (tweeters) and low freq (woofers) speakers. There is considerable debate about how useful this is, some people swear by it, others say it doesn't matter. Probably depends on the quality of amp, speaker, and speaker cable. If you are an audiophile you'll probably want this, otherwise it's probably not that big a deal. I'm only an advocate of spending big money on a system if the room you are putting it in is a good space for sound. Not many places really are.

As far as bi-wiring goes, I figure I've got enough cable running around my house without doubling up all my speaker cables. Just my 2¢ though.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have Bose Speakers in my living room surround sound setup. 5 speakers in all, including a base. It's wired to add 4 more.

9. MacMumm macrumors regular

I must say I have had great experiences with both Paradigm and Klipsch speakers. If you want very efficient speakers that will get very loud, but stay clear, go with Klipsch.

As for amps, I would have to agree on Denon, they make a great product, and they last forever.