Best Home Printers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MentalFabric, Dec 23, 2004.

1. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

I'm looking into buying a new Printer, previously had an Epson color stylus 740i which I was really satisfied with, it lasted many years (4? 5? how long have these things been around?), which in comparison to my hp deskjet 3420 (it died in less than a year) is pretty good.

I'd just like to get a few opinions on the best durable quality home printers, perhaps a bit more expensive than the last two, that preferably has the option to run as a network printer…

thanks!

-Mental Fabric

2. Zeke macrumors 6502

I have an Epson Stylus c86 (new in box) that I'm selling if you're interested. Supposed to be a great printer. It came with my G5 after rebate.

3. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

After the cheap deskjet I'm gonna buy a slightly more expensive printer, and I live in the UK so shipping would probably be absurd, but thanks anyhow. Any printer recommendations?

4. iBook macrumors regular

Canon

I really recommend the Canon printers.

I've had my i950 for about a year now, and I continue to be impressed with the quality of the printing - from color photographs taken with my digital Nikon to text documents.

Another plus: Six separate ink cartridges: CMYK plus photo magenta and photo cyan. Replace only what you need - plus the pM and the pC really enhance the quality of photographic prints.

:)

Happy shopping. A lot of great options on the market these days, and the prices are incredible.

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Go with a Canon

I have 3 printers, Canon i960 for photo and does the bulk of my text printing. This is what I would go with(new model numbers--4000,5000).
    Next I use an Epson R300 to print on DVDs but I think you could get a Canon in the UK that has this feature also. I also have a HP all-in-one that I can't stand.
    How much of what do you do? Photos, mostly text? The Canon is great on ink price and doesn't use alot either. Great photo prints :D and some places offer the ink in 3 packs(sep. colors). Hope this helps

6. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

You should find the answer here

This has been discussed many times here - here's a fairly recent thread which should answer all your questions...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=99544

7. efoto macrumors 68030

It would be helpful if you said what you wanted to print. There are a lot of great printers on market for photos, but they are not the greatest or cheapest for text printing.

Either way....I really like Epson printers, especially their UltraChrome Archival inks which are amazing.

If your serious, I can recommend the 2200 (think it is around 550-650 retail) which uses the archival printing, very nice.
    Otherwise for general usage and possibly a few photos....most any printer will probably provide adequate results for you.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I like Epson printers, and have friends with Canon printers. You can't go wrong IMO with any of the majors.

If you are in the market for a digital camera there are rebates from Nikon and some of their dealers in the US that give up to $170 on select Epson printers. On Canon camera purchases it is a $50 rebate on select Canon printers.

9. toontra macrumors 6502

Worthg checking on the price of replacement ink cartridges before you buy. For me (in the UK) it was Epson, by a mile.

I got an Epson R200 and am very happy with it - good for general printing , photos and on CD/DVDs.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And it should be mentioned that one should look at printers that take individual ink cartridges.

11. efoto macrumors 68030

I believe most of the Canon and Epson lineup all take individual color cartriges, but I am not positive. I know most Epsons take M.Y.C.B.pM.pC (at least that is what I recall from last look).

I have heard great things about the "R---" line from Epson. They much more cost effective than the highline 2200, and have a lot of great features and produce nice looking prints.

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Sta away from the cheapest printers (also cheap canons, hps, epsons).

I've had two epson 760s and one died early, the other is still working. But the quality and features are not the best (only two ink tanks, lousy paperfeeder, etc..)

I've got a new Canon 5000 and so far it's been great. Two paperfeeders and 5 seperate inktanks. It can print on both sides of the paper, on CD/DVDs.

About print economy I don't know, but earlier canons (865 and 960) have been among the best ink printers

13. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

Thanks for all your responses! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with a canon of some kind.
    There will be a lot of text printing, but quality-wise I want to be able to get good photo prints from my Nikon 8800, possibly even in A3, but i doubt it.