Best Home Theater Receiver?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Jun 12, 2005.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well, today I bought a pair of DCM KX-12 Speakers from my brother for $100. He gave me a pretty sweet deal, as the cheapest I could find them was $200, and these are in really nice condition.

Anyways, he let me have all of his older audio equipment also. This includes a Kenwood Receiver, Kenwood CD Player (5 disc), and a Kenwood EQ.

Well, now that I have these nice speakers, I figure I should go the extra mile and get some rear speakers (and a center channel) for surround. I will also buy a DVD/CD player to replace the one I have now.

Now, for the question. With $150, what receiver/amplifier would you buy. I might go up to $200. I am leaning towards Sony and Yamaha. Your thoughts?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The Sony at that price will be @^#%^ and you can't afford a Yamaha or a Harman-Kardon, I chose a JVC as a pretty decent compromise at CAN$350

I guess I should point out that I wanted component-video switching on it, so that X-ed out many of the lower priced models.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if you look around you may find one of the lower-end Denon models, perhaps a refurb AVR-1705 in your price range if you are lucky...I just got the 1905 model a few days ago and it sounds fantastic.....oh yeah!

4. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

We just got my dad a Sony 695 (i think that is the model) for Father's Day. It has 2 component inputs, video switching, etc. It was $200. Maybe I will just get one of those!

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Stay away from the Sony models. Please. As mentioned above, in that price range, they will die on you 12 seconds after the warranty expires, if not sooner.

My 21-year-old Onkyo still works well. My 15-year-old Denon still works well. The only Sony item I have which works after any appreciable amount of time is a 5.5-year-old then-top-of-the-line camcorder. Sony's top stuff is good. Their mid-to-low stuff sucks.

Onkyo or Denon in your price range would be very good bets.

6. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

Here's a yamaha for $150 Link

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

This refurbished Onkyo at $150 should give you a very good surround sound for a reasonable price. I have an older Onkyo surround receiver myself and I'm very happy with it... :)

8. Kid Red macrumors 65816

For your limited budget, Denon, Onyko, maybe Yamaha.

Sony is crap, and most of their 5.1 surround receivers don't send full wattage to each speaker. They lie, they are crap. Stick to the above group.

9. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Onkyo is very good sound system. I have the HTS-670 6.1 1000W Sound System and it's incredible. My neighbors won't agree with me because of the late night movie but nonetheless it's very high quality receivers for the money.