Best in ear headphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by markjones05, Dec 27, 2004.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Want to get some really good in ears for my new 40 gb iPod. Any suggestions?

2. morkintosh macrumors regular

these rule, but they are a bit on the pricey side.

3. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

These are excellent value for money

I've never heard the B&O earphones. Although I used to work only a block from their Beverly Hills store, I never went in, just window shopped due to their, umm, Beverly Hills pricing.

These Sony's sound great and offer excellent value for money...

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...s_FontopiaEarbud&ProductSKU=MDREX51LP&Dept=pa

4. thevessels macrumors regular

are the apple in ears not an option ?
    i just got em for my ipod and they were worth every penny...

5. mullet macrumors member

I just got these for Christmas.... http://www.shure.com/earphones/eseries_e3c.asp

They're a little pricy like the B&O in ear phones. But they have amazing fidelity. You can hear every little detail. They're not the best for hip hop and dance music due to a lesser amount of bass. However, for rock and jazz and some other types of music they really shine. I did a bunch of research before I asked for them and I narrowed down my choice between the Shure earphones and another pair made by Etymotic, the ER-6. The Etymotics run around $140 and the shure E3c's retail for around $180 but can be found on the web for cheaper (My mom found them for $120). I would stay away from the Sony if you have the dough to drop on the higher end ones. If you have tons of cash to drop Shure and Etymotic have ear phones that run around $300-$400. Also on the cheaper side Shure has the E2c which retails around $99.

Peace,
    Mullet

PS the apple in ears are crappizola.

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i have shure E5 inears and they have been very good.

7. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I have Shure E2C's and can thoroughly recommend them.

8. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I have the Sony MDR-EX71's and they can be had for under 35 bucks (under 30 if you shop). For the price to performace ratio i highly recommed them. Much better then the stock apple earbuds.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i have to echo the other comments in the thread. get shure- you definitely wont be dissapointed.

10. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Sony's are great deal

check out http://shopper.cnet.com

look for product reviews, and search headphones - these were rated by CNET as the best headphones for under $50. I paid about $38 but there were cheaper places, however, they were out of stock.

Enjoy!

PS - this site in general is awesome for product and price research!

11. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I have to agree. I have these very same headphones and I use them with my 20GB iPod. They sound great for the price. Much better than the ones that are bundled with the iPod.

12. cwright macrumors 6502a

13. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I have the etymotic ER-6, they now do an ER-6i especially for the iPod with white cables and stuff. As with any decent headphones they're great if you're using them somewhere reasonably quiet the music sounds awesome, but you lose a lot despite them being "in-ear" headphones when its noisy. I believe the ER-6s are generally accepted as being better than the cheapest Shures although they are more expensive. So my advice would be the ER-6s for quiet places (trains, planes, librarys or at night at home) and get the sonys for general commuting etc.

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I have a pair that cost $5 bucks at Target, and they even came with a case. They work amazingly well.

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

I recently bought a pair of the MDR-EX71 earbuds and I love them.

16. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

I have a pair of Etymotic ER•4P for my iPod mini. Excellent airphones!
    Recommended! :D

17. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

Ditto on the above... and they are available in white!

18. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Thanx everybody, I appreciate your responses. i think that i'm gonna go with the Sony MDR-EX71SL/WK, in white of course they soubd like a quality product for an affordable price. I would go with the Shure but money is a little tight. I think the MDR-EX71SL/WK's retail at 49.99, I found them here http://www.minidisco.com/mdr-ex70slw.html at 39.95. If anyone knows a place with a better price it would be awesome. Thanx again everyone for all your help.

19. mrbailey macrumors newbie

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

I got mine at Circuit City. I wish I'd known that they had white ones... What can i say, i was in a rush.

I wonder if the white ones sound any nicer... :rolleyes:

21. acceber macrumors regular

Interesting. I went to work with the iPod but not the earphones so I went to a store and bought a $5 pair and they sucked real bad.

I have the Apple in-ear headphones and they're pretty good, they block out all the exterior noise and give out a great sound, provided that you stick em in your ears properly. I normally have one earphone in, and the other out.

22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Your Milage May Vary. Mine are great. I already had a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 2 so I was set for the ignore-extra-noise (siblings ~ahem~) part of it.

23. Otto_M macrumors newbie

could u give me some store url in states with international shipping cos i'd really like to order those shures. in finland shure e2c are about 140dollars (with shipping+handling).

24. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Radioshakc sells the White sony earbuds (71). 49.99

25. mudflapper macrumors newbie

ETYs all the way.

I also have a pair of the Etymotic ER4Ps and they are hands-down the best canal phones, heck the best headphones period, I've ever heard.

You can find them for less than $300 bucks now. I know that sounds like a lot of dough, but I'm so happy with them. I had a pair of the Shure E3Cs and didn't like tham at all. They had a honky midrange boost, muted highs and no low end whatsoever. I tried these and it was like hearing music for the first time. Brilliant. I had no idea my iPod could sound so amazing.