Best interface between mixer and g3?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by aino, Mar 16, 2006.

1. aino macrumors newbie

I'm attempting to enter the computer age with our recording equipment. I know how to mix, etc. Have 12-channel Yamaha mixing board, Cobalt mics, etc. I'm trying to figure out to input feed from board into a G3 900mhz ibook running off Tiger. I have Audacity installed. Is there a USB adapter that can take the feed from the board into Audacity and mantain the channels? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

USB won't be able to handle 12 channels, you'll need firewire for that. you can get a sense of what's available here.

channels are generally offered in powers of two, but i think MOTU might have a 12 channel interface.

also, what's your budget and what software do you think you want to run?

3. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Do you have 12 outputs from that mixer? Meaning, do you have 12 direct outputs, channel inserts, and/or aux busses? I guess my question is, are you looking to do multi-channel recording or direct-to-stereo recording? If all you want is 2 channels in and out at once, there are a ton of options, ranging from under $100, to over $1000.

If you need 12 simultaneous inputs (or a combination of 12 ins and outs), you're going to need a firewire interface. A lot of companies offer 10 channel FW interfaces (MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 400F, Edirol FW-101, and the Presonus Firepod are four that come to mind immediately, all good choices) but 12 channel interfaces are rare. You'll usually be looking at going to a much larger interface if you need more than 10 ins/outs at once. A few choices are: MOTU 828mkII, MOTU Traveler, RME Fireface (very nice, but a bit spendy), and the Apogee Ensemble (REALLY nice, but a bit spendy).

Think about how many channels you need to record AT ONE TIME. If all you need if 8 mics, then run 8 channels from the mixer to an 8 channel interface (see above) and leave other things patched into the mixer if you need them later. If you need all 12 channels, you'll definitely be looking at a larger interface.

Also be aware that not all of these interfaces have 12 ANALOG inputs. Take the MOTU 828mkII. It has 20 inputs (and 22 outputs), but only 8 analog inputs. You'll need a one or more extra analog-to-digital converters to use the other 12 inputs with analog sources.

If you specify what your exact needs are, I can recommend the right interface for you.