Best Internet Browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spyker3292, Jul 9, 2005.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2005
    I was thinking of getting a new internet browser, what's the best one?
  2. highres macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2005
    Near the Singularity
    If you are a Mac user I assume you have used Safari so I won't mention that one.

Many developers favor OmniWeb because of its versatility and because it is customizable, however it does cost $29.95. IMHO it is worth it, it has proved to be very stable.

Some people also favor FireFox and say that it works really well for them.

Camino is also pretty decent, I haven't used it much but it seems to be pretty stable.
  3. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Well, highres has covered the most popular. Each has their avid fans. Which is best is a matter of personal preference. You should probably test them to make your own informed choice.

Safari works fine for me. I've used Camino and Firefox, but see no real need to switch.

I still use IE to access Bill Pay for Wachovia online. :(
    They just say to get over it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
  4. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Jan 19, 2003
    In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
  5. joecool85 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    My preference for OS X is Safari, then FireFox. For classic (like my PM running 8.6) I like Mozilla.
  6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    I've settled on Safari. The others are cool but Safari is the one I have found most appealing.
  7. highres macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2005
    Near the Singularity
    Safari is my favorite too it seems the most stable, loads pages the fastest and works for most downloads, checkout or shopping carts, etc.
  8. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    Safari for everything. Firefox for that occasional site that safari won't load.
  9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Any examples? I haven't found too many incompatibilities with 2.0.
  10. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Personally I love using Safari!

Bye, bye I.E. (Internet, I mean Explorer)
  11. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

May 24, 2003
    Might as well mention Opera. It's probably the worst of the graphical bunch, though.
  12. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Download a few and give them a try. Try the search feature on the forums and see one of the many threads on this topic.

For now, I stick with Safari. Firefox takes care of the few site Safari still can't render properly.
  13. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Another vote for OmniWeb

There have been quite a few threads like this in the past, but I for new members it's better to start a new thread than drag up a past one.

Anyway, I've been a long time user of Camino because I find it is the best looking and most well behaved OS X browser (even more so than Safari). However, recently I've also been trying OmniWeb and it has a ton of great features and looks and behaves quite nicely, too. It is free to download and use for 30 days, but after that it will cost you $30. That is quite steep considering there are a lot of great free browsers out there, but I also think it is worth it.
  14. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    People. My goodness. Web browsing is so all about Camino.

And with Firefox set to integrate Bit Torrent into the browsing experience, let's hope that our beloved runt Camino isn't far behind ...
  15. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    Camino is great for low memory, slower processor, older Macs running OS X.
  16. zakatov macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2005
    South Florida
    The thing I don't like in 3rd party browsers is the lack of highlighting the text boxes in websites. I think it's the most helpful feature of Safari. Camino also lacks smooth scrolling... why?
  17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Ya, the Bill Pay on several sites is restrictive (I.E. tilted). I've at least avoided HAVING to use I.E. by using Netscape in some cases, but I do like the nice little .jpg images when I download pics from I.E. Like most posters in here, I use a variety of browsers depending on the need including iCab, OmniWeb, FireFox, Camino and Safari. Earlier on, Safari used to give me fits for some reason, but the last two updates have improved its performance on my machine. I've been just too lazy to look in to why, but the only reliable browser for printing to a pdf of more than one page on my desktop has been I.E. Still, I will use a variety of browsers (currently Netscape) is getting most of the use.
  18. Zachariah macrumors member

May 10, 2005
    well my sig shows my bias (Firefox, specifically)
  19. zakatov macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2005
    South Florida
    Well, I got so bored, that I decided to see how faster Camino is.
    Using the latest nightly build, here's the CPU performance while loading this page:

sry for the crappy pic, it's kinda late. Dual g5 2Ghz. And Camino rendered faster.

So it's either eye candy (smooth scrolling, text box outline) or overall speed.
  20. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Do I really have to pic just one? :D

From left to right is about the order I use them in as well. Most for testing websites but occasionally when Firefox chokes on a site (heavy flash *cough* ) then I fire up safari and camino to see who handles is better.

Attached Files:

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Safari does the trick for me. FireFox is really nice, but at the end of the day, Safari is all I use.
  22. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2005
    Mozilla Firefox

Coming from the MS Windows world, I prefer Mozilla Firefox (although it does not have Safari's looks) - it works best for all that I want to do. I'm also more used to the user interface and the keyboard shortcuts (like Cmd+Enter for automatic prefixing of www. and suffixing of .com...although the shortcuts for .net and .org don't work on the OS X version).

In my limited use of Safari, it seems limited in the options it provides for configuration when compared to Firefox. The one feature I love in Safari, which is not available in Firefox or Camino, is the convenience of using the Dictionary panel to instantly get the meaning of any word on a web page (as explained in

I do use Camino occasionally and I like its looks, but to me it seems to be lagging behind Firefox.

So my preferences are - Mozilla Firefox, followed by Safari or Camino (both of which I use sometimes, with no preference to one over another).

Firefox is quite extensible through several extensions that are freely available. So if the browser doesn't provide something you need, there's most likely an extension that will fulfill that need.

There are also additional "Themes" available for Firefox to change the way it looks - currently I have a "Saferfox Xpanded" theme that mimics the Mac look (and it works well even on Windows) - makes it look pretty cool. Saferfox Xpanded is available at

As others have said, a browser is a personal preference, and there is no "best browser" - try these three and see which one you like.
  23. nostrum macrumors member

Jun 6, 2005
    I've had my first apple, a 12" PB for the last 3 days and I was using safari, which is nice but I'm now using Firefox which I find to be better. Maybe becasue its because I've come from a windows environment and it makes me feel more comfortable. I cant see myself switching back to Safari unless I encounter a Fox incompatible site.
  24. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Have tried them all except Omni Web Browser as there is no way i am going to pay $30 for a browser when so many are free.....

I like safari and camino the best i am not a great fan of firefox i find it quits fairly frequently and doesnt look as nice as camino or safari whatver skin you apply....

ShadOW ;)
  25. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I really don't put a lot of demands on a browser, so Safari does the trick in almost every case. Sometimes my wife gets frustrated because somebody sends her an email with a site that is totally IE with Windows media or something, and she can't load it. Most of the time I can work around it, but she doesn't understand why everything can't just work. I guess that comes from never using anything but a Mac. ;) If she had started on Windows, she would understand.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]