Best iPod comment ever!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AppleMatt, Apr 7, 2004.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Wow. I still read macosrumors.com, especially recently as the rumor mill has been very slow. But check this out;

:D
    Sometimes somethings so great you think of so many things to say but they won't come out.

AppleMatt

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Interesting idea. I know that the iPod HD is slow, but I would think that it'd be plenty fast enough to handle any reasonable web connection speed. I wonder how the smaller drives will hold up to the continuous use.

3. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Probably not very well. I don't think those drives were designed for continual useage. They probably won't last long.

4. TDT macrumors member

It takes far more than just a small hard drive to be an effective web server. At the bare minimum, you need to develop the base HTTP server stuff on an ipod...and even then it's most likely going to have some security flaws. IMHO, using an apple ipod as any sort of network file storage is kinda a waste of a good drive. I believe it's far better just to grab a cheapish computer, installing linux and Apache, and use it if you want a web server. The newer kernels even have gone so far as to allow HTML connections managed through the kernel, which is pretty amazing. The HTTP protocol isn't really difficult to implement, you can do it in 3 lines or so in Python, but it won't be really good, nor will it handle many clients at the same time...and on top of that, server side processing wouldn't be available.

5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

My iPod's holding up fine with my almost continuous use ;)

6. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

It would be far better to have an XServe mini. :)
    Seriously, though, I'd think that you'd have to have a significant amount of processing power to run an Apache client or something.

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

XServe Mini! you're onto something there.

it's gold, gold!! :D

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

iPod clusters. . . 400 iPods clustered together to have the combined musical genious of . . a lot of music :-/

iPod RAID

unixPod. . . just plug your iPod into a firewire minitor/keyboard and you have the coolest most protable computer!

10. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Actually, it's more that using an iPod solely as a drive is an expensive waste of a perfectly good digital audio player. For what iPods cost, you can buy bigger or more drives. Plus you'd still have to hook it to a computer; it's not like it's got an Ethernet connection.

What might be fun is to remove the drive entirely (assuming you really don't care about the iPod's other capabilities), and put it in an enclosure, or use it to create the World's Tiniest Linux Box. :)

11. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

12. TRiPod macrumors newbie

actually a program called DOT-POD already lets you use your ipod as a music server. it lets you go to an IP address, and it displays artists and everything on your ipod. the program is 30 bucks though, so i' just tried the demo. its probably on versiontracker if you wanna try it (i forget where i found it).

13. TDT macrumors member

For redundancy reasons, I have to disagree just buying another hardrive to fix some backup issues. I do not use the IPOD for any sort of backup, but by far backing up information to an external hard drive, and moving it out of the home is a good idea. This way, if one source is destroyed, you can easily recover. Everything in one location, or even in one computer, and problems develop fast if there are any errors/problems/fires/etc.