Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
I've said this to countless friends recently who've been trying to figure out whether they would watch enough video to justify not getting an iPod Classic but getting a phone/touch instead, but what Apple really needs to do is bring out a link cable, so that ppl can stream music/video off their classic to the bigger screened ipod touch/iPhone (or even just transfer it permanently), provided its linked to the same iTunes library. This would be especially useful for long trips, and for the fraction of ppl who can afford both, would almost ensure double sales, since most ppl I know don't want to face the prospect of the capacity limitations of flash-based iPods. Couples who share libraries, for example, could have a 160gig for the more musically-minded capacity hog, and 16gig for the partner who cares more for screen-size/touchscreen (I fill both these roles, but my gf could never fill up 16GB...), but swap devices and exchange content when travelling together on long journeys.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Neither do I, as the amount of effort Apple would have to go to in order to placate the copyright holders that it couldn't somehow be abused, wouldn't be worth such a small increase in sales. Especially what with the limited lifespan such a form of integration would have since Apple no doubt wants to kill off the hard-drive based media player line altogether sooner rather than later.

But still, its a nice idea.

PS I should have put "dream" accessory in the title, sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.