best ipod video file conversion?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by drater, Dec 12, 2005.

1. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

Ok, I use handbrake for my dvds, which works pretty well...anyone know of anything faster?
    But, I have a bunch of video files that I want to convert to ipod format. I've used iSquint, Mpeg streamclip, quicktime pro, and vlc. Can anyone tell me what is the fastest, or if there is something faster out there? I'm an impatient person...:D

2. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

off topic but can you give me more info on mpeg streamclip and vlc? Are they both free and where can I download it?

I never knew vlc had a file converter... i just thought they had the media player and that's it.

3. drater thread starter macrumors 6502a

drater

you can get mpeg streamclip at http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html
    it is free and the best i've used so far. all you do is open the mpeg streamclip, go to file, open, then "export mpeg-4", when the window opens, just click the "ipod" tab, and ok...i usually close the preview window, cause it really serves me no purpose...and you're going. A LOT faster than quicktime pro.

4. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Use MacTheRipper to rip the .VOB file, and then put it through the PSP preset on FFmpegX, changing the audio to a higher bitrate, and sample freq, changing the video bitrate to 500kb/s, check high quality and two-pass encoding, and be prepared to wait a while :)

Always remember, good things come to those who wait.

5. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Handbrake is still the best and fastest when it comes to ripping a DVD, but MPEG streamclip is the faster when it comes to converting AVI, MOV, MPEG to iPod Video formats.

As for compression with Handbrake I aim for 225MB per 40min of video, personally I find it the best for overall size and quality.

6. clcnyc macrumors regular

clcnyc