Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
Obviously the Air does not include any attached locking features. So, I'm looking for some sort of external lock:
- either a case that can lock up and be kenzington locked to something

or

- a lock designed to sort-of wrap around in a + shape around the Macbook in order to keep it safe.

Does anyone have or know of any useful solutions for locking an Air up? I'm going on vacation... needless to say, I don't exactly have full trust in the part-time workers who do the cleaning daily in the various rooms at the beach-side motel.

11.6-inch Air.

df2gadgetman

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
KCRG
Obviously the Air does not include any attached locking features. So, I'm looking for some sort of external lock:
- either a case that can lock up and be kenzington locked to something

or

- a lock designed to sort-of wrap around in a + shape around the Macbook in order to keep it safe.

Does anyone have or know of any useful solutions for locking an Air up? I'm going on vacation... needless to say, I don't exactly have full trust in the part-time workers who do the cleaning daily in the various rooms at the beach-side motel.

11.6-inch Air.

Some rooms will have a safe. See if your hotel has one. If none, just take it along with you.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
Some rooms will have a safe. See if your hotel has one. If none, I would just take it along with you.

Unfortunately no safe. And taking it with me won't be an option :(

We're going to Osoyoos, which is a desert. There's a big lake, and a fake man-made beach. The motel is beach-side.

The reason why it won't be an option is that when I come out onto the beach in the sun, I'll have to keep track of where the Air is. I have to make sure no sand gets into it, that it doesn't get trampled, and that most importantly: No one swipes it as they walk past me. I'd also have to ensure it doesn't get wet. If I go out onto the boat (which is kept anchored a few metres out into the water), I can't really carry the laptop with me onto that. So the best option is to keep it in the room. Unfortunately, the room doesn't have a safe.

Maybe I'll go out and buy for myself a safe and an lock lol! They were on sale at Staples the other day for $30 (for a decent sized safe). Was hoping to find a nice form-factor carrying case (sort of like a brief-case) made out of metal that I could lock it up in though.

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Saw this last time I was looking at Griffin's store. It might work for you situation. http://store.griffintechnology.com/desktop/techsafe-cable-lock-system

This will probably not work for the 2010 and 2011 MBAs due to a different form factor.

And yes, I too miss an option for a Kensington lock, as I work in a place where lots of people walk by, so whenever I leave my desk for a few minutes I now have to lock away the MBA. I didn't have that problem with my MBP. Sigh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.