Best LCD cleaner?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Apple!Freak, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

What do you guys recommend for maintaining the screen on the iMac 20" G5? Price aside. Thanks in advance.

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Probably not the best method, but I just use a damp sleeve of whatever shirt I'm using to clean the LCD. Yeah I'm lazy and cheap like that.

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

You can use iKlear. A simple search at the online Apple Store will show you it. Or for a more cost-effective way, a damp (not dripping) paper towel and gently rub the screen. Did that on my laptop, and got about 90% of the dirt off.

4. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

yikes, brave. I never touch my LCDs with paper towels because of the scratching factor. The closest I come is Kimwipes for delicate glassware, but usually I either use these special poly cloths we use in our lab for our optics equipment, or just a really soft plain cotton cloth.

By the way, to the original poster, didn't your iMac come with a nice soft cloth for that purpose? My 20" cinema display came with one.

5. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Radtech

Screensavrs...an azming expensive piece of cloth. I use it for camera lens, lcd, helll just about everything..Works great. A singe swipe on the gl2 lcd screen brightened it by like 8 times...SO hella cool

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

As far as I could tell, it left no scratches on the LCD. But I should point out that this wasn't on my Apple displays but rather my Windows laptop that was very dirty. Nonetheless, no scratches that I could see. Course not sure if I would do that on a $1,000 LCD though ;) Probably iKlear or something similar is your best bet.

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

This is what I found to be the best way, just a damp white T-shirt will do the trick fine. No need for any special wipes or sprays, I have used them all and they work just as well as a T-shirt and water so why not go with the free version.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

search the forums,
    but instead i'll make your job easy .... use ikear

9. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Go for a ScreenSavrz, they're amazing. I got one for my 15" albook, and it's great for cleaning everything. The good thing is you can easily buff smudges and dust out without the use of luquid. This is really good because you can avoid leaving streaks left behind by water. I used iKlear once, but I may have gotten a defective one because it left all these streaks and spots on my lcd. The ScreenSavrz fixed it though. :)

10. Palomino macrumors member

anything that won't scratch it. Then again I've had a CRT for near on 8 years and have never dusted it.

Jordan

11. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think Apple recommends the slightly moisten soft towel for cleaning the LCD screen. Apple web site did mention iKlear as the product they are comfortable but stopped short of endorsing it. LCD screen is very delicate (look at how thin that is) and I only use oen of those computer screen cleaning towel you can buy at Staples, CompUSA, and etc. I just slightly moisten it before cleaning the screen. I am doing this for all of my laptops and their screens are smudge-free to date.

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, I use iClean on my iBook since the local Apple store uses it on all the displays, pbs, ibooks and so on.

13. ToddW macrumors 6502a

iKlear all the way, keeps my 20" iMac G5 looking sharp.

14. fennek macrumors newbie

this sort of makes me want to never ever come to your place.

:eek:

my crt (my tv!) gets dusty all the time, mainly because of static - something that happens when you shoot electrons at a glass surface...

:rolleyes:

so I, too, do clean every once in a while. It helps. I use iklear.

:p not my tounge :cool:

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Warm water and a terry cloth does it for me. There should not be fingerprints on the screen, if there is, a little drop of dish soap in a litre of warm water, should do the trick.

17. SteveC macrumors 6502

Best thing I ever used... a hose!

High pressure hose if you want to get ALL the dust off. Blast away... :p

Note: If cleaning an iMac G5, you may want to mount it with the wall mounting bracket before turning the blast on full power.

Sorry. ;) I'm obviously not serious. After 20 posts about iKlear, I had to throw some humor into the mix.

18. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I've found that eyeglass cleaner works very well.

Daniel

19. wide macrumors 6502a

i just lick it and it dries pretty quickly

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Doesn't that leave salivate residue? Really, the stuff that remains on the tongue consists of dead skin cells, airborne particulate and minute amounts of fecal matter from airborne insects. Perhaps that is not the ideal way to clean an LCD screen.

21. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

is nice soft facial tissue (aka Kleenex®, not cheeks) so bad?

22. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

The best is far better than the rest.

I would recommend only Kleenmaster Brillianize. It's an anti-static cleaner and polish for plastics and any shining surfaces. It's made by the Tubro Company, Inc of Ivyland, PA. And they also sell very nice lint-free clothes to go with it. The polish it puts on a screen makes it feel smoother than ice!.. so smooth in fact, dust takes weeks to accumulate instead of days.
    (www.tubro.com is their website). I've used Brillinize for years on everything from CRTs to LCDs.

23. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

???

You're supposed to clean these things? :p

Don't do it - it is a vicious cycle into darkness - next thing you know you be like - what is the best was to clean my carpet? Wash my car? Mow my lawn.... leave perfection alone! :eek:

:)