Best Linux version for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slooksterPSV, Aug 29, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I know I know, I rant on how much I hate Linux, but I think it may have just been the version I used SuSE 8.1 on Windoze. Besides industry is move towards Linux for everything. I'm going to download Novell SuSE 9.2 tomorrow at school, but I would like a Linux version for my mac. I was thinking about NetBSD, but not sure. Thx

2. untamedhysteria macrumors regular

untamedhysteria

linux and bsd are different in many ways but also alike in many ways..i would only recommend netbsd for server use, as if you wanted a "desktop environment" i would suggest freebsd (or darwin ;) )...if you are wanting linux instead of a bsd system then that really depends on how comfortable you are on manually setting up your configuration files...you can get an easy-to-use linux distro for mac, like http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/ , or a more hardcore do-it-yourself version, like http://www.gentoo.org/ ...hope this helps, and good luck with your adventure!

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Ubuntu Linux is also a nice Linux for PPC Mac (gotta have said that one first.... PPC Mac.... :D )

4. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

Anyone tried the new PPC version of Fedora Core 4?

Do any of these distros have the airport card working in them?

5. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I think Fedora, Red Hat and SuSE have very limited partial compatibility with the Airport/Airport Extreme/etc. wireless cards.

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

No. Broadcom (who make the chips) refuse to give out the specs or any kind of information required to make drivers, and they have no intention of making drivers themselves.

Which sucks.

Edit: If you want wireless support in Linux, you'll need another wireless card.

7. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

I definately love ubuntu. Too bad it doesn't work on my iMac G5...

llama :(

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I never put Linux on my Mac (why?) but on my PC, Ubuntu is the best Linux I've used so far.