Best long-term data storage method?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rspeaker, Mar 14, 2007.

1. rspeaker macrumors 6502

I am wondering the best way to permanently store my data, aside from DVDs. I have a whole lot of stuff from school, all my notes, presentations, etc, plus a bunch of video clips and other files that I plan to hold onto until I get into teaching.

I know hard drives can go bad, but isn't there some kind of formatting/HDD that will copy the files into two places (maybe called a RAID setup?) I know nothing about this, I just want a way to guarantee my files will be safe. Thanks.

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Hard drives are much more stable then CD's Or DVD's. But no matter what you do have 3 copies of your data. one active, on backed up in storage, and another in some other place that is backed up.

3. shecky Guest

shecky

i would consider RAID to be an active way to access a lot of data from a number of hard drives with some redundancy built in; in RAID 5, while keeping good performance, you use 3 disks and one can die, be replaced, and you do not loose any data. this is a good explanation of the various flavors of RAID. RAID is NOT a "backup" it is a redundancy.

absolutely, strongly agree on this one. the system i am in the midst of setting up will have my working files on my laptop, on my RAID 5 box, and on at least one set of offsite backups (hopefully hard drives, see my question below.) my non-working (archived) files will be on my RAID box, on two sets of backups, one offsite.

i am not suggesting you are incorrect, but do you have any data to back this up? i ask as i desperately hope this is true.