Best Mac Compatible Digital Sound Recorder for Around $75?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GodBless, Jul 30, 2005.

1. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I am looking for a digital sound recorder that I can use to record high quality voice audio anywhere I go. I don't need the perfect playback solution on the device itself (because I want to primarily re-listen to the audio on my Mac) but I do want at least 10 hours of good quality sound recording built-in to the device for storage capacity. This is in case I am away from my computer for too long.

I will use it both for college classes and for revolutionary ideas that I have. Because of this the ideal device would be one that can pick up both close and far away voices.

Please don't limit your recommendations to any one of my preferences such as price, storage capacity and playback solutions. Since I don't have too much knowledge on digital sound recorders I am still looking for advice and am prone to easily change my mind on any one of the parameters that I mentioned. So please feel free to list your views on the best sound recorders.

In advance thank you for your advice. :)

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

For that budget you could probably barely get a used minidisk recorder and a decent microphone. You need a directional mic with switchable pickup patterns - cardioid and supercardioid. You might even need a second, omnidirectional mic for natural sound. A minidisk recorder would give you higher quality than an MP3 recorder but it's a bit less convenient because loading the sounds into your Mac is an analog process (unless someone has cracked Sony's proprietary ATRAC crap).

3. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

I don't need super high quality but good enough quality so I don't need to ever rewind the track to try to hear what one of the words were. I know someone who has a decent sound recorder that is only compatible with Windows and it was priced under $75 so what I am looking for is out there.