Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madele

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Please can you recommend the best Mac compatible webcam or third party compatible software :)

I was told by Logitech the C930e is the best as the software is the most Mac compatible .. However .. I do not like the addition of the ultra wide angle ..

I was told by Logitech the C922 Pro software is only partially Mac compatible and so there is no way to manually focus and that is important to me .. And the C920 software is not Mac compatible at all .. I am open to other brands and have yet to look at the Microsoft LifeCam ..

I have heard there are Mac compatible software alternatives but do not know anything about them ..

I am studying american crows .. I will use the webcam to spy on a bird platform that is 30ft from where the webcam will be and thus the need for manual focus and the need for not too wide of an angle .. I will then need to run a 32ft active USB cable to my iMac .. Thank you all in advance ..

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
In a little world of my own
Why a webcam vs an IP Camera? Could you use an IP camera and Power over Ethernet to connect it back to a switch somewhere near your iMac? (presuming no power up where the platform is). There are more options there with pan/tilt/zoom etc and even night vision options if needed. Not sure on cost vs a WebCam though.

madele

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Why a webcam vs an IP Camera? Could you use an IP camera and Power over Ethernet to connect it back to a switch somewhere near your iMac? (presuming no power up where the platform is). There are more options there with pan/tilt/zoom etc and even night vision options if needed. Not sure on cost vs a WebCam though.
I do not wish to use the internet as it is extremely slow here .. I think they call it an exhausted area :(

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
In a little world of my own
I do not wish to use the internet as it is extremely slow here .. I think they call it an exhausted area :(
I am not talking internet, just IP. That could be Gigabit :D I use a Foscam wireless IP camera at home when we have foster kittens and it works great as can move the camera remotely. In fact I would never connect it to the internet! To view mine you have to be in the house on the same network or on a VPN back to home.

madele

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
I am not talking internet, just IP. That could be Gigabit :D I use a Foscam wireless IP camera at home when we have foster kittens and it works great as can move the camera remotely. In fact I would never connect it to the internet! To view mine you have to be in the house on the same network or on a VPN back to home.
Thank you so much for your kind response .. I would love to understand better .. Perhaps you could send me a link to what you are talking about .. I would love to know how the whole set up works :)
I was told all security cameras needed to have the internet .. I was hoping to find a camera that would work wirelessly on a wi-fi router like my printer :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.