best mac compatible wireless router?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by greensuperman32, Mar 28, 2005.

1. greensuperman32 macrumors newbie

what is the best wireless router that is mac compatible?? Take performance, distance, speed, and ease of setup in2 consideration.
    Thanx

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Well, just on ease of setup and use I'd say the Airport Express and Extreme win hands down - but if you don't need a wireless USB printer port then there are less-expensive options.

I have been generally happy with D-Link in the past, and they are one of the few that do test specifically for/against Mac compatibility.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't know what the best one is, but my Linksys WRT54G, $60 on sale, is great. Works with my AirPort Express, easy to set up, easily available hack lets you raise/lower transmission power, etc. For the price, it's hard to beat. Also includes four wired ports. Setup is all web-based, so no PC required.

4. greensuperman32 thread starter macrumors newbie

i should probably mention that i need sumthin that can go 90-100 feet through walls pretty easily.

5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

6. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Second that .... Amazing! and I used various ones, Linksys is the best for $ spend

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Count me in too, just got one of those myself and it was a good price

I've not fully tested it yet but so far so good :)

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

haven't had to use those distances, but have 3 airport express, and couldn't be happier, 1 for itunes-optical cable to reciever/1 in kids bonus room with printer plugged in for everyone to use/1 hooked up to cable modem.

I am not an IT person, or a geek. They literally took minutes to set up.

9. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

I have the 54G as well. What hack are you talking about? I would love to change those settings.

10. G.Kirby macrumors regular

G.Kirby

A good little alternative is the Netgear DG834G. It looks good and was a snap to set up. However, the range is a bit on the naff side but it will do me until Apple puts an ADSL into the base stations. :D

WHICH HAD BETTER BE SOON! :mad:

:p

11. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

AirPort Express, or the even better but more expensive AirPort Extreme. :D

12. oldpismo macrumors member

I have a Linksys WAG54g and it will only work at 54g for a few hours before needing to be reset. I have a Airport express, which works wonderfully with no problems at all.

Needless to say I would recommend the Airport Express, and keep well clear of the Linksys WAG54g

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think an Airport Express would do the job just fine... extremely easy to set up, stylish, small and (relatively) cheap...

...and Airtunes is the best invention since the wheel... ;)

14. G.Kirby macrumors regular

G.Kirby

I have been using Airport since July 1999 with no problems what so ever. In fact we, Swansea Institute of Higher Education, were the FIRST educational establishment to use Airport in the UK. :)

I can give a big thumbs up to the Apple base stations. Just remember that if you are going to use BBand then you will need to use a router that has an Ethernet port so that you can plug it into your new shiny Apple base station. Other wise you will need to go with one of the other products mentioned in the above posts.

I hope to see Apple ADSL base stations coming in before the end of the year. It's not often that apple are off the pace but this should have been done 12 months ago.

15. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I will be very surprised if you can find an 802.11G router that will come anywhere near this - at least without an expensive antenna.